[Done] Salami's 1st GBZ Modded-HDMI UART Shift-Buttons Brightness Control

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
salami738
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 36 times

[Done] Salami's 1st GBZ Modded-HDMI UART Shift-Buttons Brightness Control

Post by salami738 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 am

Hi,

this is WIP, but i will show you some pictures the next days!

Planned feature list:
- 480x320 HDMI screen with brightness control
- PAM8403 Audioamp + Headphone Jack
- Arduino pro micro (Mega 32u4) for inputs, battery monitoring and brightness control
- Shift Button on the side of the case for double action buttons (Shift + UP/DOWN -> brightness control, ...)
- I2C Connection between Arduino 32u4 and Raspberry for
- Battery monitoring
- Shift button
- Controlling brightness and other functions via gameboy buttons
- Mini HDMI connector soldering (VERY hard). Maybe i get an FPV cable from Aliexpress and cut the case. Got an FPV cable. Working like a charm!
- USB UART and remove I2C to save two wires
- WLAN and Bluetooth Enable/Disable via Key-Combo (Should save 70mA at 5V - Link: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... -pi-zero-w)

List of unresolved problems:
- HDMI screen brightness uses a switch, but i want one to brightness up and one for down
- Loudness control via Arduino->I2C->Raspberry Mixer
- Replace the AMS1117 regulator on the hdmi screen to reduce power usage. See: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4242

Solved problems so far:
- PAM8403 not suitable for common ground headphones. DONT try to connect the L- and R- togehert. You will get heavy distortion. Will post a schematic soon.

Used components:
- MPI3508 HDMI 3.5 inch screen 480x320

I will keep you updated.

Images 05.11.2017
SpoilerShow
Image
SpoilerShow
Image
greetings from germany!
Last edited by salami738 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 805 times

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:28 am

salami738 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 am
Hi,

this is WIP, but i will show you some pictures the next days!

Planned feature list:
- 480x320 HDMI screen with brightness control
- PAM8403 Audioamp + Headphone Jack
- Arduino pro micro (Mega 32u4) for inputs, battery monitoring and brightness control
- Shift Button on the side of the case for double action buttons (Shift + UP/DOWN -> brightness control, ...)
- I2C Connection between Arduino 32u4 and Raspberry for
- Battery monitoring
- Shift button
- Controlling brightness and other functions via gameboy buttons

List of unresolved problems:
- HDMI screen brightness uses a switch, but i want one to brightness up and one for down
- Loudness control via Arduino->I2C->Raspberry Mixer
- Mini HDMI connector soldering (VERY hard). Maybe i get an FPV cable from Aliexpress and cut the case.
- Replace the AMS1117 regulator on the hdmi screen to reduce power usage. See: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4242

Solved problems so far:
- PAM8403 not suitable for common ground headphones. DONT try to connect the L- and R- togehert. You will get heavy distortion. Will post a schematic soon.

I will keep you updated.

greetings from germany!
PAM8403 is fine to use....
this is how i wired mine..... no static on my build....

Image


.
.

salami738
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by salami738 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 am

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

The problem with the PAM8403 is, that it is a bridge tied load amplifier (BTL). It does not have a common ground on the outputs (L- L+ R- R+).
Most headphones have a common ground (GND, L, R).

In your build you have stereo sound from the display (3 cables), you feed it into the amplifier as stereo.
BUT: you are only using the left channel (L+ / L-) on the output side.
So if you are emulating games with stereo sound, you will only get the sound of the LEFT stereo side of both sides of your headphone (your signal path is: stereo -> only left side -> dual mono left side).
You have no static on your build, because you dont have the outputs of the PAM8403 connected.

greetings

salami738
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by salami738 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Currently i am working on a battery overlay.
The guide: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2056 helped me much, but i had to change it to use the arduino directly. Did not want to use a separate analog to digital converter chip.

User avatar
Codemaster123
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by Codemaster123 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 pm

how is project, you how connect screen
please share audio setup diagram

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 877 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by YaYa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am

Codemaster123 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 pm
how is project, you how connect screen
please share audio setup diagram
Errrr did you read the post ? Veteran Gamer actually shared an audio wiring diagram :roll:

User avatar
Codemaster123
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by Codemaster123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am

YaYa wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am
Codemaster123 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 pm
how is project, you how connect screen
please share audio setup diagram
Errrr did you read the post ? Veteran Gamer actually shared an audio wiring diagram :roll:

sorry but you not read post
wiring is diferent to vetran gamer diagram

maybe you should stop making to many post quality is better to quantity

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 877 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by YaYa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am

Codemaster123 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am
YaYa wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am
Codemaster123 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 pm
how is project, you how connect screen
please share audio setup diagram
Errrr did you read the post ? Veteran Gamer actually shared an audio wiring diagram :roll:

sorry but you not read post
wiring is diferent to vetran gamer diagram

maybe you should stop making to many post quality is better to quantity
Please Let me laugh about the quantity and the quality of my posts... ;)

Cheers

User avatar
Codemaster123
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by Codemaster123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:45 am

YaYa wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am
Codemaster123 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am
YaYa wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am


Errrr did you read the post ? Veteran Gamer actually shared an audio wiring diagram :roll:

sorry but you not read post
wiring is diferent to vetran gamer diagram

maybe you should stop making to many post quality is better to quantity
Please Let me laugh about the quantity and the quality of my posts... ;)

Cheers
you right the amount of post you make is a laughing matter
but you dont acknowledge your error, maybe you need read more then you post

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 877 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Salami's 1st GBZ HDMI I2C Shift-Button Brightness Control

Post by YaYa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:53 am

I’ll stop here before we completely skid out. You should do the same.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests