Erik's Non-AIO Custom Parts Build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
erik_gee

Erik's Non-AIO Custom Parts Build

Post by erik_gee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Hey everybody! Been a while since I've actually worked on a full build instead of just parts. Want to show some of my progress I have made.

First off, my main goal before starting was not to simply fit all the components inside, but to also have them in securely and pleasant to the eye. I drew inspiration from Veteran's "no glue" build, which gave me the idea to develop parts with as little glue as possible so thank you Veteran for the inspiration. As such, most parts I've made are either pressure fit or screw into existing posts.

Parts include:
2-part screen bracket
audio amp-jack bracket
6 front button pcb
charge port/power switch bracket
power supply/wire management bracket
dmg conductive shoulder button bracket

For the usb, I had ordered the wrong ports. The one i got, which is the common one people usually get, sits vertically and has a plastic casing which makes it slightly larger. After hoolyhoo mentioned using the type that have the pin coming straight out the back as they are slimmer, I ordered some of those. However, I designed the bracket around the original one so what i did was clip off the plastic from my old one to slim it down, and then bent the metal casing to keep the plastic parts attached. Pic of the usb after modification shown below next to the nicer, slimmer usb.

This is what I have so far, parts are still changing as I go. Ill be posting updates when I can. I dont have the files available, except for the audio bracket which can be found on the 3d printing section, along with a screen stencil. Also, I sell the shoulder brackets for dmg buttons for those interested. Link is my signature.

Next custom parts I'm currently working on are some AIO boards. With limited features. I would like to thank Helder for answering some questions I've had along the way!

Few more pics below
some more picsShow
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

erik_gee

Re: Erik's Non-AIO Custom Parts Build

Post by erik_gee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Well I hooked all the wires up and nothing turned on. After some testing turns out there is a problem with my amp, it's creating a short circuit somehow. Gonna have to wait a few days until I'm back home and can swap it amp for a different amp...
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

CrogDog

Post by CrogDog » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 pm

B-e-a-utiful! I like the attention to detail on the inside. I've been making brackets to use in my first build, although I've been making them with plasticard sheets of varying thickness. I especially like the bracket that holds the pi in place, I'm thinking that mine is also going to be in that location. Can't wait to see more

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Looks like you're pretty much complete. This is a very nice build, CrogDog nailed it b-e-a-utiful. It's amazing how tiny details make a huge difference. I'm really diggin the wire holder you incorporated into the power strip bracket....the two part screen bracket is badass too

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks guys. It's not fully wired yet in that pic so it's a little cleaner haha right now I have all the devices in the front wired and now looks a little crowded, just because there are a few wires I couldn't hide. You can see in the pic below.

I pulled the USB out so I could rewire but it will be put buck under the ribbon. As for the screen wires, those have to more or less be in top as the pads are on top. The same for the pi's power. It looks a little messy right now but once I replace the amp, I'll be able to tuck some of the wiring underneath and tape down what I can't. So it will hopefully look a little nicer than this haha