My Gameboy Zero project

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Casperdroid5

Re: My Gameboy Zero project

Post by Casperdroid5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Everything was working proparly!
I Did test everything! But it seems like something went wrong in the mounting proces.

should I try to remove everything then?

It sounds like the best option to me.
:(

Casperdroid5

Post by Casperdroid5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Well.
I dissasembled almost the whole thing without breaking anything (thank god). It seems like the ribbon cable was indeed lose. Thanks for the tip Tinkerboy! Tomorrow I'll start wiring the whole gameboy. Does anyone have a good diagram? I use a adafruit amplifier a save shutdown and I'm not doing the cardridge like (our gbz god) wermy.

Any diagram would be helpfull!!!

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:54 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:17 pm
I really can't get why people are rushing to glue things in when they haven't even tested everything and made sure it's all working...
So true. What I always do is just is to test one component at a time first, assemble them inside the case, no gluing and close the case but don't screw it yet. Use a rubber band to keep both the rear and front case together. Now, play and test at least an hour. If everything went well, use just a little hot glue for each of the parts that needs it, enough to easily remove it if something went wrong. Again close the case, play and test. If all good then you can go crazy with the hot glue. Haha..😂 Or use a 3D printed bracket/holder for each of the parts to minimize using hot glue.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

Casperdroid5

Post by Casperdroid5 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 am

Oke thanks for the tips.

Casperdroid5

Alternative power

Post by Casperdroid5 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 am

Hey I was wondering if I could use the tp4056 to provide power for my gameboy. I'm not sure if the board outputs 5V 1A. So if does it have a boost converter build in?

I saw in wermys minty pi build that he only used a micro lipo charger from adafruit and that one cannot output 5v right? since it is directly connected to the battery. Is there a boost converter in helders minty pi board or something?

VeteranGamer

Re: Alternative power

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:41 am

Casperdroid5 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 am
Hey I was wondering if I could use the tp4056 to provide power for my gameboy. I'm not sure if the board outputs 5V 1A. So if does it have a boost converter build in?

I saw in wermys minty pi build that he only used a micro lipo charger from adafruit and that one cannot output 5v right? since it is directly connected to the battery. Is there a boost converter in helders minty pi board or something?
why are you considering the TP4056 for a Gameboy build....
it isnt something most have used, and theres most probably a valid reason for this (that not to say it cant be used)....

one off the top of my head is that you wont be able to charge and play at the same time...
there are most probably others reasons as well....

why have you not considered the Generic (banggood) power supply, it only costs a fraction more than the TP4056
https://www.banggood.com/37V-Liion-Batt ... rehouse=CN

Casperdroid5

Post by Casperdroid5 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 am

Well the thing is, i'm going to build a RPI zero in a SNES controller like this:
Screenshot 2018-03-01 at 12.56.06.png
Screenshot 2018-03-01 at 12.56.06.png (464.22 KiB) Viewed 7311 times
I refused to use a powerboost 500c because in my country (Netherlands) it costs about 15 euro and that's just to expensive for what it does.
so I wanted to use this one because it's small. So i'm sure it will fit.

This may not be the right topic to talk about it but it is just a small question that does not have seem to be answerd.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:13 am

Casperdroid5 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 am
Well the thing is, i'm going to build a RPI zero in a SNES controller like this:

I refused to use a powerboost 500c because in my country (Netherlands) it costs about 15 euro and that's just to expensive for what it does.

This may not be the right topic to talk about it but it is just a small question that does not have seem to be answerd.

you could use it as a replacement instead of the powerboost

but have a look at this guide....

https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2753

even if you dont buy his board....

i'm pretty sure you can still make things work without it, and harness all the power you need from the HDMI cable setup he uses....
(you'll obviously need to add things for this to work, but its doable... even with GPIO controls wired using the controllers PCB)

adding a battery to these builds doesnt really make sense after seeing how he does it, especially as your gonna be using it with a TV...
(and trying to save a few dollars to end having to cram stuff in only to have to keep recharging the unit seems pointless)

Casperdroid5

Post by Casperdroid5 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:15 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:13 am
Casperdroid5 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 am

you could use it as a replacement instead of the powerboost

but have a look at this guide....

https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2753

even if you dont buy his board....

i'm pretty sure you can still make things work without it, and harness all the power you need from the HDMI cable setup he uses....
(you'll obviously need to add things for this to work, but its doable... even with GPIO controls wired using the controllers PCB)

adding a battery to these builds doesnt really make sense after seeing how he does it, especially as your gonna be using it with a TV...
(and trying to save a few dollars to end having to cram stuff in only to have to keep recharging the unit seems pointless)

Thanks! I just realized how stupid it was to go for a battery project when the pi is connected to the tv anyways! Just like you said. So I made a new design for the rpi snes and scrapped the idea of a powerboost for my gameboy zero. I will show it when it's finished. :) ;)

Casperdroid5

Post by Casperdroid5 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:50 pm

So, almost 4 years later.
I'm not dead hihi.
I stopped working on my Gameboy. I was too inexperienced and didn't have a clue what I was doing most of the time. I moved on to easier projects.

I am now an EE student (embedded systems engineer) and I gained a ton of experience trough failure and research/ talking to people that have experience.

I think that I may visit this topic again later, and make a functional Gameboy. At the time I didn't have the money and lost a lot of components trough wrong connections etc. I post this since I think that is important for us to remember. It doesn't matter where you start or how you start. You can always take a break and try again later.

Thanks sudomod for everything you have learned me and for holding my hand while making my very first steps in becoming an engineer.

-Casper