My first GBZ (Separable halves, custom Metroid cartridge, no hot glue)[Completed]

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Merlin

Re: My first GBZ (Separable halves, custom Metroid cartridge, no hot glue)[Completed]

Post by Merlin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm

The inverted screen is due to fitting problems with pi zero?(I'm waiting for the same screen so I'm worried about this aspect)

Spinlok

Re: My first GBZ (Separable halves, custom Metroid cartridge, no hot glue)[Completed]

Post by Spinlok » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Super nice build! Congratulations. I’m nearly finished my first and this puts mine to shame. Great job!

Which battery are you using? Would love to find one that fits for my second build :D

CrogDog

Post by CrogDog » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Merlin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm
The inverted screen is due to fitting problems with pi zero?(I'm waiting for the same screen so I'm worried about this aspect)
I don't think I had to invert the screen, but it made things slightly easier/neater by keeping the ribbon connector out of the way, and allowed me to run wires underneath the Pi. There's quite a bit of room underneath the top of the Pi, although it would probably be resting on some of the components if not inverted, and you might not be able to solder to the Pi from the bottom. If doing a similar setup for your GBZ I think it's definitely doable, but might be a bit more of a challenge. And with the screen board out of the way I was able to make nice sturdy posts for the Pi to screw into, although one of the posts partially rests on the screen board.
Spinlok wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 pm
Which battery are you using? Would love to find one that fits for my second build :D
Thanks! The battery I'm using is one of the 5000mah batteries that Dextech sells here on the website, it fits really nicely into the battery compartment and has a fairly long life

CrogDog

Post by CrogDog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 pm

I got a set of Kitsch-Bent's colored replacement cartridge's for Game Boy, and I've switched my memory card/PRS-Tech board over to one of their white carts. I got my Tamagotchi cart from Japan (Thanks Rodocop for the tip on these, saw you mention them in a post), and even though it's in pretty decent condition the whites just don't match (once my GBZ has had a few decades to catch up, maybe :mrgreen: ) The white Kitsch-Bent cart looks great in there though, and matches the white shell perfectly
ImageImage

The Jack of Clubs

Post by The Jack of Clubs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:07 pm

i love the wiring in your case and how cleanly the two halves separate. im wondering how you got the wires to bend so neatly.

you can also try retrobrite-ing your cart.

CrogDog

Post by CrogDog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:07 pm

The Jack of Clubs wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:07 pm
i love the wiring in your case and how cleanly the two halves separate. im wondering how you got the wires to bend so neatly.

you can also try retrobrite-ing your cart.
Thanks 8-) For the parts of the wiring that have a 90°/180° bend I actually peeled the ribbon wire apart from one end, taped them to my work surface in the shape I wanted them in and used tiny dabs of super glue on the backside to secure them back together and hold their shape. I've been meaning to try some Retrobrite, I have a bunch of cartridges and shells that I've been wanting to renew!

The Jack of Clubs

Post by The Jack of Clubs » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 pm

cool. thanks for the tip. im thinking about doing a clear build, with everything on display i would hope the wiring is as clean as yours.

littleferris

Post by littleferris » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 pm

This is a beautiful build. I hope mine comes out half as good looking.

littleferris

Post by littleferris » Thu May 03, 2018 2:05 pm

So if you ever needed to remove your battery you have to open up the case to unplug it? or you do you have an extension going into the battery compartment?

CrogDog

Post by CrogDog » Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 am

littleferris wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:05 pm
So if you ever needed to remove your battery you have to open up the case to unplug it? or you do you have an extension going into the battery compartment?
My battery is plugged into the charge circuit so yes, I would have to crack it open to disconnect the battery. I think at some point I will add an extension or a connector so I could remove it without opening it up