My first attempt at making a Wooden GBZ Case

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Wood_Style

My first attempt at making a Wooden GBZ Case

Post by Wood_Style » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:03 pm

The still in progress detailed build log can be found here https://imgur.com/a/FbacC
Front Side so farShow
ImageImage
Back Side so farShow
Top view with pcb board so farShow
An early look at the buttonsShow
ImageImageImage
This is my first attempt at making a custom GBZ case out of wood. I am not sure if I am posting in the correct subforum since this is a build log that is still in progress. I will be posting the F360 files this weekend that I have used so far (based on neolith’s 3d case file) so you can see and play around with all of the cutting operations I used in case anyone wants to make one themselves or improve upon what is there.

If anyone has any advice or sees any potential problems in my method please let me know. I am not an engineer, just a hobbyist so if I have said anything you know to be incorrect or have used incorrect terms to describe things please correct me.

Thoughts so far – This way of cutting out the case is much more time consuming and equipment consuming (vs what was done in this build https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4508) as the router needs to cut out a lot of wood specifically the hollowing out of the insides of the case halves and the 3D profile cutting. I think the benefit is the visual aspect of having each half being carved out of a solid piece of wood and it being closer to the original case itself.
Notes on the filesShow
I have attached the Fusion 360 files. Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists and businesses making less than 100k (at least it was last time I checked) so you should be able to download it for free if you want to look at or use the files. The catch seems to be that it is that its cloud based so you have to go online and upload all files to the cloud at least once every two weeks. The best resource I’ve found for learning to use the CAM in F360 is the NYCNC youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0IyK ... TjsxjvyHPg). Learning the CAM mode of F360 may seem overwhelming at first as there are a ton of different variables that can be changed for each cut operation but once you get the hang of it you realize that most of these values will stay the same from cut to cut. Because of the impressive simulation mode you can practice making things without having direct access to a CNC router. If you have experience using 3D printers and designing 3D parts then you already have most of the skills needed as the workflow is very similar. I think in some cities you can find makerspaces these days that have CNC routers that you could learn to use to cut your designs. Another option would be going to a CNC machining service.

You should be able to find the sketches I used for the boundaries of the cuts in the sketches tab in Model mode, they are the unnamed sketches at the bottom, underneath neolith’s sketches. All of the toolpaths are found in the CAM mode under in the Setup tab. If you click on the Setup tab and then click simulate you can then press the play button to see the cutting process from start to finish. When using the simulator I prefer to uncheck the Tool and Toolpath boxes and check the Stock box. I also prefer Mode: Standard, Colorization: Operation, Material: Mirror, and unchecking the Transparent and Stop on collision boxes.
Attachments
GBZWoodCaseBatteryCoveFrontandBack.zip
(7.31 MiB) Downloaded 233 times
GBZWoodCaseBackHalfBackSide.zip
(7.53 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
GBZWoodCaseBackHalfFrontSide.zip
(7.33 MiB) Downloaded 221 times
GBZWoodCaseFrontHalfBackSide.zip
(7.35 MiB) Downloaded 203 times
GBZWoodCaseFrontHalfFrontSide.zip
(6.79 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
Last edited by Wood_Style on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.

HoolyHoo

Re: My first attempt at making a Wooden GBZ Case

Post by HoolyHoo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:52 pm

This was a very detailed and interesting write up. Thank you for sharing. Can’t wait till you get further along.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Can’t wait to see the end result too
Follow me on instagram Image

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:10 pm

This has got to be one of the coolest projects I have seen, I am really looking forward to seeing the final product. I love seeing everyone's take on a GBZ! Great work!!

moosepr

Post by moosepr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:46 pm

This looks amazing!
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

Wood_Style

Post by Wood_Style » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Thank you guys for the kind words!

I have updated the build log and posted the files for the back half back side and the battery cover front and back sides. Next up I will be working on the buttons and d-pad, and eventually the assembly once all of the interior parts arrive.

If anyone has tried to use the files can you let me know if there are problems? You will probably get a red exclamation point beside the cutting operations under the setup folder in the CAM mode. You should be able to click the setup and then press "ctrl + g" to get them to update. I’m not sure if the endmill settings will work or not since it uses a tool library not stored in the cloud. I selected endmills from the sample library so it should work but potentially you might have to manually re-select them from the sample library.

neolith

Post by neolith » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:04 am

That looks really good so far! Can't wait to see the finished case!
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

superjoltman

Post by superjoltman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Just looked at the pictures, that thing looks amazing!!

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am

Wow this is really cool, i cant wait to see the end result.
I think this is a very brave attempt to make the whole case out of wood even the button wells and standoffs.
I really like the very detailed log you are keeping, keep up the good work!
👍👍👍

Gauffre

Post by Gauffre » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:22 am

Waow ! Can't wait to see the final result. It looks awesome !