Famicom Zero : build status = ongoing

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Scuzzy

Famicom Zero : build status = ongoing

Post by Scuzzy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi All

Just wanted to share my first & current build of a Famicom Zero Gameboy. Which I have to admit has been truly inspired after seeing Veterans build,,,,,,, I was like wow wow wow :o

It all started a few weeks back whilst emptying my loft, I came across my old Gameboy which must be over 25 years old, I found the games too, Tetris lol, Mario Land, Snow Brothers to name a few. Yes I lost a good hour out of my day playing on it.

This got me thinking, that night I searched for Gameboy mods, I seen a video on YouTube that Wermy had posted then I found the Sudomod page. This site is fantastic, credit to Wermy and alll you guys who contribute so much to the scene and have built this community for what it is, the names are endless a couple that jump out would be Kite, Helder, Hooly Hoo, Veteran, Erik, YaYa, Kubino.....

I opted for my first build to use an AIO, for a future build I do want to try a non-AIO setup.

Famicom Zero Parts list
  • Grey aftermarket pre-cut case (thanks Kubino)
  • Hooly Hoo Screen Mount (purchased from his link)
  • Power & Mode switch mount (from here)
  • Erik’s rear button board & bracket (purchased from his link)
  • Kites Super AIO Kit with 320x240 LCD (Big thanks to the guy who sorted this for me)
  • Glass (Grey Frame) screen mount (JellyBelly)
  • 5000mah Dextech Battery (purchased from his link)
  • Famicom coloured buttons (eBay link in buttons post)
  • Raspberry Pi Zero (Pi Hut)
  • SNES 3D printed Cartridge (3DHubs & myminifactory)
  • 28 or 30mm speaker (still choosing)
  • 32gb Samsung Evo SD Card

The Build

The Pi corner was taken off, to allow it to sit flush on the AIO board. I clamped the board into a vice and used a Dremel with a cut off wheel, fairly straight forward just a case of taking my time. Once I had placed some Kapton tape on the under side it was time to solder it to Kites SAIO
SpoilerShow
Following Kites in-depth guide I began cutting the header strip, firstly 2 x 2 headers then 2 x 18 header strips, I soldered the pads as instructed before hand and the got to work soldering the headers.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Again the guides where very clear on how to install the headers; with the Kapton tape on the back of the board I proceeded to solder, Iwas very happy with my results. The hardest part was cutting the excess pins of the headers :mrgreen:

Once complete I gave it a wipe down with rubbing alcohol,
SpoilerShow
After powering up via HDMI and running Kites test image, Next it was time to connect the LCD and inspect the colours. Colours are fine, on the picture they may look a little off.....
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I received my printed SNES Cartridge, but silly me assumed the size would fit, nope 40mm in width isn’t enough. Not sure why I just assumed it would fit...... I’ve reordered at 56mm wide x 37.5mm length keeping the original depth intact.

I’ve gone for a dark grey colour, not sure what design of label I will apply when the new 3D Print arrives.
SpoilerShow
I fitted the Power & Mode switch mount with super glue after a bit of sanding down,
SpoilerShow
I trimmed the wires to fit. Once I had soldered them up I used clear plastic epoxy to mount the switches. I used liquid tape on the switch to insulate.
SpoilerShow
Also applied a strip of Kapton tape to keep the wires down & neat.
SpoilerShow
Also just wanted to confirm as discussed in this thread (xx) that the buttons from this eBay link (xx) are of the correct size in diameter,
SpoilerShow
I’ll keep updating this thread as I go........ MORE TO COME.

VeteranGamer

Re: Famicom Zero : build status = ongoing

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Scuzzy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm

I’ve gone for a dark grey colour, not sure what design of label I will apply when the new 3D Print arrives.
nice....
looking good so far....

even though its dark grey and not black.......

here something i knocked up in 5mins that might suit the darker carts, or give you some ideas....
(Killer Instinct in the UK came as a black cart)

but great work so far, looking forward to the finished build.....

Scuzzy

Post by Scuzzy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:25 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm
Scuzzy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm

nice....
looking good so far....

even though its dark grey and not black.......

here something i knocked up in 5mins that might suit the darker carts, or give you some ideas....
(Killer Instinct in the UK came as a black cart)

but great work so far, looking forward to the finished build.....

Thanks for the kind words Veteran,

Love the label mate, that will look pretty good, I’ll have a go at printing that tomorrow; very kind of you.....

I just went with the dark grey as I wanted a bit of contrast without going black, Lol if that’s makes sense.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:15 am

Scuzzy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:25 pm
VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words Veteran,

Love the label mate, that will look pretty good, I’ll have a go at printing that tomorrow; very kind of you.....

I just went with the dark grey as I wanted a bit of contrast without going black, Lol if that’s makes sense.
No probs....

dont rush to print just yet.....

waiting until you have your cart in hand, so you know how much to reduce the size
(the image is the size of a full size cart)

also, if you want the design, it might need to be adjusted, i think they actually call it...

Kites Super AIO and not Kite Super AIO
(an oversight on my part, i'll adjust it and you can choose which ever you like/want)

Edit: heres a revised version....

Scuzzy

Post by Scuzzy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 am

Little Update,

Whilst waiting for my Battery & speaker to arrive I’ve been having a look at YaYa’s great post on freeing up resources.

I think my power switch may be a bit faulty, randomly it will just reboot, the safe shutdown doesn’t kick in. The screen will go white / break up then load up again...... odd....

jakejm79

Post by jakejm79 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:09 am

How much of YaYa's post did you follow. I have found (at least with the bandgood version) that the safe shutdown doesn't work (appears the script doesn't load at startup) if you disable wait for network on boot.

Scuzzy

Post by Scuzzy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 am

jakejm79 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:09 am
How much of YaYa's post did you follow. I have found (at least with the bandgood version) that the safe shutdown doesn't work (appears the script doesn't load at startup) if you disable wait for network on boot.
Would this be the same for Kites SAIO board?

jakejm79

Post by jakejm79 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 am

Oh I forgot you had an SAIO, I just saw safe shutdown and my mind went directly to Camble's.
I don't know, its possible if the scripts are very similar.