Rodocop's 10th GBZ!

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
rodocop

Rodocop's 10th GBZ!

Post by rodocop » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 am

Well, i've finally completed my 10th GBZ, here are some details and Pics!

So this one is using a simple PCB from PRSeth, GPIO controls, and a pi zero W. I'm using the gearbest 3.5" screen, with a generic power supply from Banggood (4000 mah battery too). I have used purple SNES style buttons for this (Bought from gamers zone on aliexpress), and a aftermarket grey case.

I used an STL from HoolyHoo for the screen bracket, it has built in supports for the the USB, volume wheel, and the pi itself (allowing for the SD card to be accessible from the contrast port. (found here https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic ... =10#p50965)

This was a great bracket, but I did have to remove the top left screw post so the screen board would fit, and I did have to cut out a little bit of the back cartridge area to allow for the USB to fit properly. As well as shaving off a bit of the screw post near the USB. I was also using the fatter volume wheel (similar to an original) and using the provided mount it was actually a bit too high, so I shaved a bit of the plastic from the gameboy itself.

I have added two tactile switches as L and R buttons, using some perfboard and hotglue to hold them in place. And I have some cartridge labels from Dom at retrofresh.uk. I have added a green LED to the old power port, this only illuminates when the battery is fully charged, I like to be able to see that. I also opted to skip the headphone jack in this one and I have placed the micro USB charge port in it's place.

I think that is about it. Here are a few things that aren't the greatest about this one, or things I am planning to add.

I still am not a huge fan of adding volume wheels, they never seems to work super great for me and the i get a whine or static while adjusting the wheel. So what I have done in the past, is either skip them, or just set them to a good volume spot, and use in game hotkeys to adjust the volume.

I plan to add a battery monitor if my ADS1015's ever arrive from China. I will use HoolyHoo's combo script, that way I can also use the function hotkeys from the minty pi as well. (Like all my minty pi's I will just allow the L button to be the function button.)

Anyway, here are a few pics. It looks great on the outside, but like usual it's a bit messy inside. I envy the build that are so clean, I can never seem to get mine that way.
SpoilerShow

CrogDog

Re: Rodocop's 10th GBZ!

Post by CrogDog » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:25 pm

Looks awesome man, I like the SNES theme. That's still nicely organized on the inside, I wouldn't call it messy. I spent a LOT of time on wire management and being neat and tidy on my first build and it's really way more of a pain than it's worth :oops: I'm working on another one for my brother (as a birthday gift) and I'm not going to be nearly as meticulous with the inside of it. Good work man!

Spinlok

Post by Spinlok » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Double digits! Congratulations! Another great build. It’s been fun to follow all of your work.

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Congratulations for your 10th Gb. :)
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

TheHappiestBug

Post by TheHappiestBug » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 am

Been waiting for you to hit double digits!

neolith

Post by neolith » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:19 am

Nice! I like the simple classic color scheme. :)

So, are you going to stop building any time soon or are you aiming for another ten GBZs? ;)
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:25 am

Thanks everyone for the compliments, also...My wife does seem to call it an addiction...I call it a hobby :lol:

As for ever stopping, we'll see...I've got parts on my desk for one more (classic maroon buttons, and a grey shell, using existing screen size, planned to be as stock looking as possible, but still adding 4 face buttons and L/R), and then i'll have to see what happens. I've got some home reno's coming up soon, so I will likely not be making anything for a bit!

I'm looking forward to seeing some pocket and color PCB's being released, maybe try some of those.