Rodocop's 11th GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
rodocop

Rodocop's 11th GBZ

Post by rodocop » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:18 pm

It's that time again. Finished off one more.

I tried to make this one look as stock as possible. Using the original screen size. (Used overscan to shrink down a 3.5" screen.

I originally intended to use a 2.8" spi screen but it came broken in the mail, and a 2.4" was too small. So Amazon to the rescue with a cheap bw screen. Worked out it was an easy to mod screen and also had adjustment buttons which I added to the cartridge.

I'm using a common ground pcb with gpio buttons, and Erik_gees shoulder button bracket with original dmg buttons. (It's great)

I've got a tp4056 powering it (as well as a 5v boost module). I may remove the 5v boost, since everything seems to run fine off the battery voltage too. I've got it connected to a small barrel jack in the original charger port to help keep the stock look.

For audio, I've used an i2s amp from adafruit. No volume wheel or headphones (i glued a headphone jack in place to cover the hole, and I may wire it up too if possible with i2s?)

The volume is controlled via hotkeys. And let me say that i2s audio is far superior to pwm. No static at all, it's on par with usb audio. I will use this more often.

On to the pictures. Not super clean inside, but I'm happy with it!!
SpoilerShow

moooarcuuuus

Re: Rodocop's 11th GBZ

Post by moooarcuuuus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 am

You need a red led under the "BATTERY" opening.

Nice build.
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 am

Will you stop ever ? :lol:
Follow me on instagram Image

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 am

moooarcuuuus wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 am
You need a red led under the "BATTERY" opening.

Nice build.
Yeah. If I can find a way to add a small smd led in there I might. I just left it for now since I had nothing on hand...

I was really hoping to use that spi screen, since I had seen Hex on the discord server use an spi screen and was able to make it actually illuminate red in that spot. I don't think it's possible on a normal composite screen.

@YaYa, maybe one day...I think I'll do one more and see what happens after that :D

jakejm79

Post by jakejm79 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Been saying for the longest time that I2S audio is the way to go, no need for a USB hub and only 3 GPIO wires.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 pm

jakejm79 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 pm
Been saying for the longest time that I2S audio is the way to go, no need for a USB hub and only 3 GPIO wires.
Yeah! It is great quality. I will not do normal pwm again!

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 pm

looking good! Are you sure you can run it off just the battery though? All your components looks like they will run off the battery except maybe the screen. If its a back up monitor, those tend to act real buggy on lower voltages, especially as the battery starts depleting. If you replaced it with that SPI I think youd be golden
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:18 pm

erik_gee wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 pm
looking good! Are you sure you can run it off just the battery though? All your components looks like they will run off the battery except maybe the screen. If its a back up monitor, those tend to act real buggy on lower voltages, especially as the battery starts depleting. If you replaced it with that SPI I think youd be golden
As of right now I have the 5v boost module connected to the tp4056. So I'll leave it as is for now. I had just tried to run it without the boost at first since the original plan was for an spi screen, and it did work with the composite. But I added the 5v boost since I had a few on hand.