I wanted to introduce you once my current large-scale project.
Originally it was intended to buy an original case and adapt it, just as countless others have done here. Since I wanted to give it a 100% factory look, I decided to design a case myself.
After more than 60h in Autodesk (I'm pretty much there) and 20 hours of paint finished im finally done. Now I want to give you a short overview.
To the question whether it was worth it: From the learning effect, yes, but had to realize that the goal of achieving 100% factory quality is impossible for me. I had several print failures and still there is not enough space inside the case due of the hot glue. Also the haptic of the buttons is not as good as expected. May i switch back to a original case becaus of that.
Will I sell prints or products? I guess no. It is easier to use an original housing than to print and refurbish one.
Pictures during work:
- Final Print
- Finishing Progress
- Assembled GBZ
Features originally planned and result:
- Fixet mounts for all parts --> almost, all except fan
- keep most of the design --> almost. I removed some details
- No empty holes --> archieved
- Both SD slots accessable --> archived
- Four shoulder buttons --> archieved
- Fan inside -->coming soon
- Less glue (we'll see) --> of course I needes more glue then expected
- Professional look (we'll see) --> first it looked good, but after assembly I messed up
- Kite Board soldering and testing
- design the case
- print prototypes
- case bugfix
- print final case
- test assembling
- grinding, varnishing, polishing
- Insert fan --> still shipping
- Debug color flickering --> seems like LCD cable is squeezed
- get it perfectly closed --> maybe not possible because battery and buttons require too much space
- Kite Board with Pi 3 adapter - https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2641
- Dextech battery pack - http://market.sudomod.com/custom-gbz-lipo-battery-pack/
- Pre stipped Pi 3 - https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1958
- Gameboy Zero Display Glass - Plastic one. Link not found.
- Gameboy Classic Parts - speaker, buttons, screws --> Ebay
- SUNON Fan UB5U3-500B --> Aliexpress
- Rust Protection Primer - https://www.motipdupli.com/en/INT/lang/ ... -1090.html
- Black Paint - https://www.motipdupli.com/en/products/ ... -1089.html
- Clear Lacquer - https://www.motipdupli.com/en/products/ ... -1088.html