Gameboy Pi3b 1st build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
troedi

Gameboy Pi3b 1st build

Post by troedi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:24 am

Hi,

I'd like to share my first Gameboy Pi build with you.
  • Raspberry Pi 3b
  • Adafruit Powerboost 1000c
  • Safe Shutdown (Powerboost edition)
  • Teensy LC
  • Common ground button pcb
  • PSP1000 analog joysticks
  • 320x240 TFT (Gearbest)
  • 3d printed display and button frame
  • L/R shoulder buttons (with PCB from a cheap USB SNES controller)
  • External USB port
  • PAM8403 audio amplifier
  • 2 channel potentiometer to adjust audio volume
  • Small speaker (Gearbest)
  • Switching headphone jack (mutes speaker when connected)
  • Battery of my old Nexus 5 mobile phone (temporary solution, but fits peferectly)
Pictures
SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

xxrob511

Re: Gameboy Pi3b 1st build

Post by xxrob511 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Hows your battery life?

troedi

Post by troedi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm

I don't know exactly - I've never played longer than one hour. But I think it will last 1,5 hours.

1emerson1

Post by 1emerson1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Did you have any issues with the powerboost providing enough voltage and current to the RPi3? I’m currently having trouble with getting the pi to boot up. Once it reaches the colorful splash screen, it reboots.
"Since I was 15 I've felt kinda like... an old man" - M. Cera

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:42 pm

1emerson1 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:31 pm
Did you have any issues with the powerboost providing enough voltage and current to the RPi3? I’m currently having trouble with getting the pi to boot up. Once it reaches the colorful splash screen, it reboots.
Looks like you need a better power supply like the one I developed. What size battery are you using? and are you using an HDMI LCD? PI 3 B+ or regular Pi 3 B?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

troedi

Post by troedi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:07 am

1emerson1 wrote:
Sometimes there's the yellow lightning bolt on the screen for a very short time. but actually it's not a problem.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:11 am

That yellow lightning bolt is an indicator that the system is under powered.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

1emerson1

Post by 1emerson1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:47 am

Helder wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:42 pm
1emerson1 wrote:
Looks like you need a better power supply like the one I developed. What size battery are you using? and are you using an HDMI LCD? PI 3 B+ or regular Pi 3 B?
I’m using the following batteryhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798GYVCW/re ... ABb14127E4. I’m using a LQ035NC111 via DPI with a PI 3 B+.

I looked up the power consumption for the the B+ and it’s less than the B so I thought the Powerboost would be fine. Nothing is plugged into the Pi when booting up. I even tried booting it up without the display and nothing.

Not sure how other people got it to work?

Your power supply looks very promising!
"Since I was 15 I've felt kinda like... an old man" - M. Cera

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:23 pm

I made another powerful PSU before it that my friend and colleague Is also using in his Game Gear Project and that was more powerful than the powerboost as well maybe around 2.5A output but it couldn't even handle powering up the Pi 3 B+ for long which is much more power hungry.

I think you have your information wrong about it using less power, I made my new PSU to handle these more powerful boards. Best bet is to use a regular Pi 3 B or get a better PSU for the project.