Roger’s 1st CS CM3 Simple Build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
rogerfliporian

Roger’s 1st CS CM3 Simple Build

Post by rogerfliporian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello, this is my first Game Boy build.

Some notes for other first timers:
1) Be extremely careful when cutting your case! I did a pretty sloppy job with the joystick hole and put a nice scratch all the way to the d-pad as the photos will show so go slow. Another tricky spot for me were the back buttons.
What I did for those was solder my buttons to the board then put some white out on the tips of the buttons, then fitted the board into place and the white out rubbed off exactly where the holes needed to be. I then made a tiny hole with a sharp set of tweezers in the center of each white spot then hand-turned the plastic hole drill tool and tested for fit often.

2) The place where you stick the ribbon has a little black clip that flips up/down for the small ribbon and in/out for the large ribbon for the screen. So what you would do is lift up the black tab on the backboard, slide the ribbon into the slot (it will go in a little ways), then press the black tab down to secure it in place. I forced it in a number of times before realizing this :oops:
SpoilerShow
IMG_2903.JPG
IMG_2903.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
IMG_2904.JPG
IMG_2904.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
3) If you don't have a custom part to hold the power switch, what I did is this: Hot glue the un-soldered button into place so it is perfectly centered in the hole. Hot glue 4 pieces of perfboard together and hot glue into place under where the bottom portion of the switch board will go. Hot glue a single piece of perfboard onto the case under where the metal switchbox will sit. Hot glue the board on top of the pieces of perfboard and fit the switch posts through the holes. Lastly solder the posts of the switch onto the board.
SpoilerShow
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2931.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
4) If your joystick is wired in accordance with the wiring diagram in the joystick support thread but you still have an inverted axis, you may need to edit the config file. Kite made a very simple set of instructions here: https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... he-arduino
Let me say that I have never used Putty before and it was very simple to SSH and type the commands.

5) The backboard has to be connected to the main board and the power switch for it to boot properly. I was trying to boot by just pressing the button on the main board with only the screen and battery connected (to test if SD card was properly formatted) and it would act like it was booting but would invariably shutdown after a few seconds.

Enough chatter here is the finished product:
SpoilerShow
IMG_2937.JPG
IMG_2937.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2939.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
IMG_2940.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
Any questions or for more/other pics just ask :)
Last edited by rogerfliporian on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Italian77

Re: First Game Boy Build with CS CM3

Post by Italian77 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Nice Job! I love the two tone look.
My first Circuit Sword build - Custom Painted
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5855