McGiggins 1st Gameboy Zero (Circuit Sword)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
mcgiggins

McGiggins 1st Gameboy Zero (Circuit Sword)

Post by mcgiggins » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:32 pm

So I built this GB 7 months ago in March, and have played it on and off in a state without a glass screen because, in my haste/error, I hot glued the screen in place before whittling enough of the edges off, and some of you may have seen this picture:
SpoilerShow
So recently I decided to make it prettier/finished and carefully took an X-Acto to those ugly edges and here is the result:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I think it looks much better, and am glad i didn't damage the screen in the process. :o

vinomer

Re: McGiggins 1st Gameboy Zero (Circuit Sword)

Post by vinomer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:53 pm

I've found that using JB ClearWeld Syringe works much better than hot glue, I've been using it for a while and on many projects. Hot glue becomes bulky and takes up space inside the case, the epoxy settles flat and remains clear.
First, set the glass screen in place, then use small/tiny dabs on epoxy around the class, making sure it goes inside the crevices but not too much that it bleeds onto the screen itself. When your done, clean it with a damp paper towel or alcohol swab, it comes off pretty easy when it's still wet.

If your not confident enough using epoxy, id tape around the screen and case, that way you'll only get the glue going to where you want it. What I do is take cotton swabs, cut one end at about 30-90 degree angles, and use the pointy angled tip to mix the solutions and "paint" the areas with glue.

mcgiggins

Post by mcgiggins » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely use that

Flowuz

Post by Flowuz » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:56 am

May i give you a tip on your low X Y (and A an B knobs). They look very low (inside the body). I filled them up with a old credicard, just cut little circles an glue them under your knob. It improved mine gaming experience.

Great improvement the glass screen!