Game Boy CM3 Zelda Edition (Kite's CSO)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Gauffre

Game Boy CM3 Zelda Edition (Kite's CSO)

Post by Gauffre » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:30 am

Hi All,

I have been on and off this project for a while now, but I am finally at a point where I think it can be shown here. I started by building a first Game Boy Zero from scratch a year ago, with no custom parts (with Wermy's videos). It has been a great learning experience, but I was not pleased with the overall quality of my build (I could barely close it, some buttons were not working, everything I was trying to repair/improve was just causing more issues because everything was glued together with tons of hot glue...) As I was jealous of all the superb and clean builds on this forum, I decided to work on a Mark 2, this time allowing myself to use custom parts.

The idea for the Zelda theme came when seeing Yoshi's build. The green case is from a broken Play it loud. It was hard to find but the color was exactly what I was searching for. I searched for golden buttons for months, but there was nothing I could find that would really work. Everything I ordered turned out disappointing. So I ended up painting a yellow set with golden polish nail. I still need to find a way to make it stick on the start and select buttons. Right now it just scratches off. I might just end up finding another color for them that would still fit the theme (Leather brown, fairy light blue... I don't know yet).
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The screen protector is custom made by bluish squirrel. I sent him a template I made with Hylian markings and the Triforce and was really pleased with the result he sent me.
SpoilerShow
I had fun making some custom stickers for the back and the cartridge. I was inspired by Yaya's stickers, who I had ordered some stickers from for my first build.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Inside, you can find the one and only Circuit Sword from Kite, and everything is held together thanks to Hoolyhoo's bracket and erik_gee's back button board. The battery is from Dextech. I had to replace the screen that I broke during the build... Fortunately I found the same one and the epoxy was not too hard to remove.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Finally I made some custom loading screen using a video I found on youtube I cut down to the appropriate size.
SpoilerShow
For the next steps, I am now looking for a nice theme or maybe trying to tweak one to make a zelda theme... I have also thought about replacing the CSO's battery and wifi symbols with hearts and a navi icon.

Thanks to all the people I mentioned in the post and all those who took the time to answer all of my stupid questions on this great journey.

KonnorJ

Re: Game Boy CM3 Zelda Edition (Kite's CSO)

Post by KonnorJ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am

Awesome build! Love the custom stickers, they waterslide decals or something else? I plan to do something similar on my next builds.

Gauffre

Post by Gauffre » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks ! I just used some glossy sticker paper. It is not as good a result as what Yaya makes, but it came out ok. I just hope it will stand the test of time.
Waterslide decals are really hard to use. I made a few tests on the inside of the case (I left the best one, it is shown in the pictures) with the Zelda logo but I did not manage to get a clean result so I did not insist.

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 am

Gauffre wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:50 am
Thanks ! I just used some glossy sticker paper. It is not as good a result as what Yaya makes, but it came out ok. I just hope it will stand the test of time.
Waterslide decals are really hard to use. I made a few tests on the inside of the case (I left the best one, it is shown in the pictures) with the Zelda logo but I did not manage to get a clean result so I did not insist.
Thank
s for the advice! will try both and see which i prefer.

Gauffre

Post by Gauffre » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:56 am

That would be amazing ! Thanks a lot Kite !

Parker

Post by Parker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:57 am

That looks amazing! Will definitely build mine with the same care and quality as yours :)

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 am

This is very awesome!! Nice work.

alesch

Post by alesch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 am

This simply looks wonderfull! :)