Kite´s SAIO Pi3 Build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Varthdader

Kite´s SAIO Pi3 Build

Post by Varthdader » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:43 am

Hi!

This is my recently finished SAIO Pi3 build.

In it I used:

Hi res Kite 640x320 screen
Kitsch bent alternate DMG clear case and silicone front buttons
Two piece dpad
PSP style dual joysticks
Normal type dmg back buttons
3d Pen-made screen/button brackets
Gorilla glass all clear screen protector stuck with double sided tape

Things I like:

-The dual joysticks work surprisingly well in this layout, particularly since I had few options because of the SAIO placement of ICs in the lower position.

-The Pi3 has a considerable amount of extra horsepower compared to my other Zero W build

-This case has some extra interior space that allowed only minor dremeling and keeping of lcd metal frame untouched, plus it has squared back half which makes it easy to add back buttons.

-Two piece dpad feels superb with zero play compared to traditional replacement dpads.

-That screen, it´s gorgeous and really makes this GBZ shine.

-I love how the striped SAIO pcb is seen through the see through plastic shell. Bonus: no led holes needed!

Things to improve:

-Back button placement is too far up to use comfortably

-Pi3 was cut down to be fitted with sd in the battery lid slot but was eventually fitted with sd up top, hence has more cut out than needed. This allowed better airflow for the fan (it now blows upwards) and access to sd from the top without sacrificing the standard battery lid.

-Game cart shell (aftermarket) has not been glued into place, but just sits there. Might cut out an opening for the sd card and glue it but have not made my mind up yet.

-Had to remove the external sd card reader pcb while debugging, and I am not sure yet of the external sd slot´s utility. Could add it back in later.

-Hi res screen has very small battery status icon.

I wish to thank everybody for sharing their work as it has been a great source of guidance and inspiration. I hope to help and inspire someone with mine!

Lastly, I wish to thank Kite for his awesome boards and beg for him or some other charitable soul to update SAIO´s software up to the latest and greatest CM3 developments.
Attachments
IMG_0238.JPG
from stock DMG to Hotrod GBZ!
IMG_0238.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 1980 times
IMG_0240.JPG
back
IMG_0240.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1980 times
IMG_0246.JPG
note small battery icon
IMG_0246.JPG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 1980 times
IMG_0244.JPG
front