Low resolution 4:3 theme

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
winnetouch

Low resolution 4:3 theme

Post by winnetouch » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:36 pm

While waiting for the parts for my build I decided to take another stab at a theme for my system. My first theme was more "flashy" than practical. This time I'm trying to make something more practical. I stumbled upon this unfinished theme. The thread has been dead for quite a while so I decided to try and recreate it on my own.

For now I set up the ground work (layout) and decided to omit quite a few functions to make the theme usable on 320x240 screens (like just the game list and thumbnail in detailed view).

At this point I'm focusing on making as much pixel art as I can before the holidays :D. I'm almost done with all the handheld systems (+ a couple of retro consoles), but I'm hoping to eventually cover most of the systems the PI can properly emulate.

I haven't started working on the system logos yet. For now I just lifted them from the Pixel theme.

EDIT: If the author of the original theme objects I'll make changes to the theme to differentiate it from his.
some examples (the logos are still not crispShow
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (6.34 KiB) Viewed 11401 times
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 11401 times
wonderswan.png
wonderswan.png (8.97 KiB) Viewed 11320 times
snes.png
snes.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 11320 times
game gear.png
game gear.png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 11320 times
These are lists. If anything is missing that is truly often emulated then please tell me ;).
pixel art done for...Show
Amiga
Amstrad CPC
Apple 2
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx
Colecovision
Commodore 64
Gameandwatch
Gamegear
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Genesis/Mega Drive
Intelivision
Mame
Master System/Mark III
Mega CD/Sega CD
Neo Geo
Neo Geo Pocket
Neo Geo Pocket Color
NES
Nintendo 64
Pokemon mini
PSP
PSX
Retropie options
ScummVM
Sega32x
Snes
Wonderswan
Wonderswan Color
ZX Spectrum
On to do for now...Show
It's all done for now ;)
Download:
https://github.com/winnetouch/lores-retropie-theme
Last edited by winnetouch on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Low resolution 4:3 theme

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:14 am

Oh this might be really useful for the 240x240 lcds used in the VMU and TinyPi Pro.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Helder wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:14 am
Oh this might be really useful for the 240x240 lcds used in the VMU and TinyPi Pro.
The bottom menu would probably get cropped out but yes... That was also my idea. There are some nice themes for low res screens but I dont think they really look crisp due to the high res images used. Pixel art is perfect for such a thing.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:36 am

I just uploaded a very rough draft of the theme (added it to the original post). I don't have the means yet to test it all out so if someone finds any issues or bugs just say the word :). I'll be continuing the work on this after the new year ;).

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Updated the theme and fixed some minor bugs. The logos are now crisper. Still have no way of really testing it out except on my monitor (still working on my GBZ project) so if there are any issues please write them up :).

I updated the download link. BTW does anyone know how I can get the theme uploaded somewhere so it can be downloaded in the Retropie esthemes menu?

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:58 pm

winnetouch wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 pm
Updated the theme and fixed some minor bugs. The logos are now crisper. Still have no way of really testing it out except on my monitor (still working on my GBZ project) so if there are any issues please write them up :).

I updated the download link. BTW does anyone know how I can get the theme uploaded somewhere so it can be downloaded in the Retropie esthemes menu?
I suspect you may have already figured this out, but you can launch ES at 320x240 to see it running at the same resolution as the Gameboy Zero. Here's the batch file I use in Windows...

Code: Select all

set HOME=%~dp0
emulationstation.exe --windowed --resolution 320 240
Image Image

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:16 am

Yes I already figured it out but I find it's always best to try and test things on the hardware it's suppose to run on.

Also I can't seem to get all emulators installed on the PC setup.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Just updated the theme with all the projected (for now) pixel art. I uploaded the theme to github and posted the link in the original post. There are still some bugs that i am working out also.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:23 am

I'm having some issues removing the "last opened" text in the settings menu. Anyone have any idea how to do that?

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:28 pm

hey this looks really great! i'm having trouble getting it to load tho. i copied the folders over from the github to a folder in the themes dir, and i get it to show up as an option in my es themes, but none of the artwork displays. does it need an xml in the root? i've only installed from the gallery before, so i'm sure i'm missing something.