Defect02's first Circuit Sword CM3 Build with home made fan cartridge

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Defect02

Defect02's first Circuit Sword CM3 Build with home made fan cartridge

Post by Defect02 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 pm

first i want to start off by thanking this community for all the help and answered questions. This build took me about 2 months give or take to complete the whole build, with my job taking up most of my time and waiting for parts and delivery this process took a bit longer than i would have liked.

Finished photo first.
1.jpg
1.jpg (793.27 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
So lets get started:

I decided to go with a clear blue case, i didn't get very many pictures of me as i modded the case. but i decided to go with the mandatory 4 button A,B,X, and Y. i also decided to go with 2 joysticks and L1,L2,R1, and R2 buttons in the back. I used HoolyHoos psp screen bracket and and printed up the secondary joystick housing on a 3d printer. I then decided to glue it into place with some super clear silicon as seen below.
2.jpg
2.jpg (769.17 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (883.98 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
I then got everything mocked up to test fit and made sure everything lined up properly. and started connecting everything and siliconing pieces and wires in place.
5.jpg
5.jpg (926.6 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (767.9 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
The next issue i had was figuring out how to get the back buttons to work with HoolyHoos back button pcb. i decided to go with rectangular buttons in the back so i had to carefully and painstakingly file out 4 rectangles on the back of the gameboy, once i finished i then ran into another problem of the buttons having a gap between them and the soft tactile buttons which are provided with hoolyhoos kit so i printed out some spacers and glued them to the back of my rectangular buttons and it worked like a charm.
7.jpg
7.jpg (736.73 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
After that everything was good to go, except for the gameboy cartridge. I ended up looking through my collection and found an old Game Boy Color cartridge which had a pretty beat up sticker on it (it was a wwf game) so i decided to tear that one down and throw my fan into it. i proceeded to use the silicon to glue it in place and drilled a hole for the fan and also the wire to go through and also filed off vent holes in the top of it. I decided to go with a zelda theme so i ended up buying a zelda links awakening sticker and threw it on there to cover up the fan. i then made two holes through the gameboy and the back of the cartridge to screw the game in place
9.jpg
9.jpg (957.65 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Attach0.jpg
Attach0.jpg (569.52 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
i originally wanted to do a more thorough build thread but realized i didn't take as many pictures as i would have liked so heres my last picture of it put together and running. As you can tell with all the filing i had to do by hand i put a small scratch next to my R1 button =[
10.jpg
10.jpg (953.02 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Attach0-15.jpg
Attach0-15.jpg (641.45 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Attach0-12.jpg
Attach0-12.jpg (818.98 KiB) Viewed 2892 times

Metaphysical Logic

Re: Defect02's first Circuit Sword CM3 Build with home made fan cartridge

Post by Metaphysical Logic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Love the pictures your build looks dope. Where did you plug the fan in on the board? I might do the same thing you did putting the fan inside the cartridge.