My first Custom DMG, CM3, Kite CS, PSP stick, no punches pulled.

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
manyxcxi

Re: My first Custom DMG, CM3, Kite CS, PSP stick, no punches pulled.

Post by manyxcxi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 am

ZahcStarKiller wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 pm
Those leds are just SMD leds attached to the Kite CS board. Kubino had been playing around with drilling holes in the case so the leds could be seen, so I had him do that to my case. Turned out great!
The whole build looks great, you did an awesome job!

Do you have any idea of the offset dimensions used to drill them out? I just tried a couple passes on mine with my laser cutter and I was way off.

Did you modify a screen bracket to allow the smd LEDs to be unobstructed?

ZahcStarKiller

Post by ZahcStarKiller » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 pm

manyxcxi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 am
ZahcStarKiller wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 pm
Those leds are just SMD leds attached to the Kite CS board. Kubino had been playing around with drilling holes in the case so the leds could be seen, so I had him do that to my case. Turned out great!
The whole build looks great, you did an awesome job!

Do you have any idea of the offset dimensions used to drill them out? I just tried a couple passes on mine with my laser cutter and I was way off.

Did you modify a screen bracket to allow the smd LEDs to be unobstructed?
Thanks man!!

I am not sure the offset, I would ask either Hooly or Kubino. Which brings me to the second answer, I got a screen bracket from hooly that had holes for the leds to shine through.

reipet

Post by reipet » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Would be great to get a drill guide for the LED Holes :-)

Could we add some kind of Glas fiber into the holes then to keep them sealed but still can transfer the Light from the inside?
What kind of material that should be?

manyxcxi

Post by manyxcxi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:03 am

You can use PMMA fiber optic threads. Often times you’ll see them advertised for “Star Sky Ceilings” and such. It’s not terribly expensive, on Amazon 50M is less than $20 in the US. You’ll find it even cheaper on AliExpress.

You will also want to make sure that you get “end glow” fibers and not “side glow”, as the side glow will leak light from other LEDs around it and be dimmer. It’s also possible to order them with a PE jacket which could help with any light bleed issues in the tight confines inside the shell, but it could make routing the fibers harder as they can’t turn as tightly.

Another option is “light pipes” (also called lumirod). They’re similar to the fiber optic strands but are not flexible at all. For the front mount LEDs that are a straight shot, these might be easier to use, but they’re a little harder to find, as they’re mostly used as optics for firearms and colored in green, yellow, and orange.

If you used a light pipe you could use LOCA to glue the light pipe to the front half of the shell, which would make disassembly easier vs fiber optic threads which aren’t as rigid and would require being glued to the front and securely attached to the LED light source as well.

sztojanov

Post by sztojanov » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:43 am

What about the VACO bass speaker? louder or better from kite's default speaker? Please explain! Thank you so much!