Laegnur's Game Boy Zero

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Laegnur

Laegnur's Game Boy Zero

Post by Laegnur » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello

So, I'll start my own GBZ project. I have not much idea of electronics, so I hope to learn a little with this project.

At this time I have these items. I bought some before getting a gameboy, so I do not know yet if I will use all, or will use the original GB parts.
shopping_list.jpg
Shopping List
shopping_list.jpg (86.22 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
[spoiler="Shopping List"]
  • BW 3.5 inch TFT LCD Car Monitor variant 7
    Adafruit Mono 2.5W Class D Audio Amplifier
    Teensy LC
    Raspberry Pi Zero
    @Helder Game Boy Zero Controller PCB (many thanks from spain)
    Gifted old Game Boy from work companion
    Adafruit USB Micro B Breakout Board
    HDMi/HDMi-mini Adapter
    Adafruit Mini Metal Speaker
    Kingstom MicroSD Adapter and Samsung MicroSD (no in the pic)
[/spoiler]
Now I have to buy a dremmel, or borrow someone else...

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Laegnur's Game Boy Zero

Post by wermy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Nice! Gooe luck and keep us posted! :)

Here's the "Dremel" I used - super cheap and has served me well so far: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2307-Variabl ... B00A8DXKXS
ImageImageImageImage

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:31 pm

wermy wrote:Nice! Gooe luck and keep us posted! :)

Here's the "Dremel" I used - super cheap and has served me well so far: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2307-Variabl ... B00A8DXKXS
I'll second wermy's choice. I have a few Dremels and the WEN. I really have no preference which one I reach for. They do the same. Buy the WEN rotor, and the Dremel accessories.

Laegnur

Post by Laegnur » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 am

Hi!

Thanks for advice, wermy and Kilren. The problem with WEN tools, is that they are 120V. I'm from Spain, we use 220V. ;)

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:34 am

Kilren wrote:
wermy wrote:Nice! Gooe luck and keep us posted! :)

I'll second wermy's choice. I have a few Dremels and the WEN. I really have no preference which one I reach for. They do the same. Buy the WEN rotor, and the Dremel accessories.
There is not any notable difference between an original Dremel and this cheap one (quality, dremel´s speed, etc)? Come, I spent 70€ in a Dremel for my father, there needs to be something!! :lol:

I will have to bookmark this one haha

Edit: F*ck, it has even more accesories than the one I bought!

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:14 am

Tamasco wrote:
There is not any notable difference between an original Dremel and this cheap one (quality, dremel´s speed, etc)? Come, I spent 70€ in a Dremel for my father, there needs to be something!! :lol:
The rotor (handheld tool) has little to no difference in quality. You will find a huge difference in the attachments and accessories though (don't even bother with wen's flex shaft). Dremel uses better metal stock making stronger bits. You'll pay a premium for the Dremel name with the accessories, but most are under the $5 tag.

Only way to really kick up quality is with handheld routers (such as a trim router by dewalt) but that is over kill for this project, and quite hard to control in such a small job application as the GBZ.

Edit: In fact, I think I've only ever found one dremel attachment that didn't work with the wen, and it was highly specific application

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:38 am

I love the green gameboy. Been trying to get my hands on one for some time :mrgreen:

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:54 am

Robots86 wrote:I love the green gameboy. Been trying to get my hands on one for some time :mrgreen:
Realize that its not UK source, but I do recall seeing it.

Transparent Green shell

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:02 am

Kilren wrote:
Robots86 wrote:I love the green gameboy. Been trying to get my hands on one for some time :mrgreen:
Realize that its not UK source, but I do recall seeing it.

Transparent Green shell
Thanks Kilren. Ive stumbled on that one before. Im looking for a none transparent version. I think its called play it loud? Let me know if you find one. Don't really need any parts so just the case would do fine. All the ones I've found are in full working order. Why does nobody have a damaged one!!! :mrgreen:

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:04 am

Robots86 wrote:
Thanks Kilren. Ive stumbled on that one before. Im looking for a none transparent version. I think its called play it loud? Let me know if you find one. Don't really need any parts so just the case would do fine. All the ones I've found are in full working order. Why does nobody have a damaged one!!! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I've been looking for some of the play it loud colors as well. Haven't found any yet, but I'm still searching the interwebs. The reason they're not being sold damaged is they were more rare, so people buy them immediately to restore and fetch a higher price for it because of its rarity