Game Boy Color Zero (GBCZ) *With Build Guide Notes

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Dividion

Re: Game Boy Color Zero (GBCZ) *With Build Guide

Post by Dividion » Sat May 25, 2019 5:15 pm

On the SPI adapter, you can actually ignore the two pads on the right edge (CE1 and GND). They're not connected to the screen. I've got another version in testing that uses CE1 for fbcp-ili9341 (it's an alternative to fbcp which is supposed to improve the refresh rate, however from what I've read is a bit too demanding for the Zero's single core, but would be good for Pi 3). So anyway you can just remove those two wires, since you only need the 8 on the left instead of 10. That'll save a tiny bit of space and reduce complexity.
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat May 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Dividion wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:15 pm
On the SPI adapter, you can actually ignore the two pads on the right edge (CE1 and GND). They're not connected to the screen. I've got another version in testing that uses CE1 for fbcp-ili9341 (it's an alternative to fbcp which is supposed to improve the refresh rate, however from what I've read is a bit too demanding for the Zero's single core, but would be good for Pi 3). So anyway you can just remove those two wires, since you only need the 8 on the left instead of 10. That'll save a tiny bit of space and reduce complexity.
awesome! - i was wandering about that, because i thought it seemed like the one input wasn't being used. i think that means i can add a battery monitor button in there after all then! (so much for reducing complexity ;) )
Attachments
pi_gpio_mapping.jpg
pi_gpio_mapping.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 6601 times

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Wed May 29, 2019 8:10 am

I have added Safe shutdown instructions, and a few other details to the original post.

I also swapped the screen guard for a glass one, pre-printed with the standard logo, and added in the battery monitor button. While I was in there, I ended up disconnecting the front LED, since the activity onboard LED was almost in that spot already from the Pi, I just stuck an unconnected LED there, which allows the activity one to display through the original hole, making it actually useful instead of just another power indicator (especially on boot-up prior to the screen driver starting up where you can see it working to boot):
gbcz2.jpg
gbcz2.jpg (439.61 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
here's a size comparison to a GBZ:
gbcz0.jpg
gbcz0.jpg (667.24 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
a couple more pics:
New Screen ProtectorShow
gbcz3.jpg
gbcz3.jpg (526.92 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
button install from insideShow
gbcz1.jpg
gbcz1.jpg (821.79 KiB) Viewed 6582 times

Ziploc99

Re: Game Boy Color Zero (GBCZ) *With Build Guide Notes

Post by Ziploc99 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Really nice job. Love the components you used and how it came out. I find it very impressive when people piece together something and make the whole more than the sum of the parts. Strong work.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:48 am

Ziploc99 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:20 pm
Really nice job. Love the components you used and how it came out. I find it very impressive when people piece together something and make the whole more than the sum of the parts. Strong work.
thanks a lot :D :D i'm really happy with it but i did have enough extra parts, and things i wanted to do a little cleaner/better that i'm going to do a second one i think. just waiting on a few more parts to arrive. i might also see if i can design a few printed brackets and pieces this time to hold stuff, but the parts all fit really nicely like i did it.

i though it was a pretty fun little build, and a nice level of challenge, so i hope others give i a try too.

Robochris

Post by Robochris » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:27 pm

Nice job! I have one of those boards form glitchd gaming too but ive been trying to finish a couple pocket pi FEs. How'd you make custom screen covers? ive been wondering for years.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Robochris wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:27 pm
Nice job! I have one of those boards form glitchd gaming too but ive been trying to finish a couple pocket pi FEs. How'd you make custom screen covers? ive been wondering for years.
i just printed it up on vinyl sticker paper, then used a clear screen protector on top of that, but i wasn't happy with how that looked in the end, since the adhesive on the cover was just uneven enough to be visible through it and looked a bit like small air bubbles, so i ended up just buying a pre-printed glass one. i think people have found places to custom print those directly on a piece of plastic or glass, but i wasn't able to find anywhere so i just ended up doing my own that way. maybe a different color border or different protector would have better results. i posted the sized png if anyone else wants to run with it.

Ziploc99

Post by Ziploc99 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:31 am

Bluish squirrel will do custom screen protectors. Check out his website, he can put pretty much any design on a glass screen protector. I had him do some "dot matrix with stereo sound" covers for DMG zero builds a while back when I couldn't find them anywhere else. It's worth it for that finishing touch.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am

Ziploc99 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:31 am
Bluish squirrel will do custom screen protectors. Check out his website, he can put pretty much any design on a glass screen protector. I had him do some "dot matrix with stereo sound" covers for DMG zero builds a while back when I couldn't find them anywhere else. It's worth it for that finishing touch.
i forgot about that place. i actually did come across it when i was looking and saw their "game boy horror" and "game girl" ones - and that's awesome that there is a totally custom option too - but i was impatient and didn't want to wait for the shipping from britain.

NO_ob

Post by NO_ob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm

This is great :3 miles better than the one i made a couple years ago. Didn't even have audio lel https://imgur.com/a/9tEZF