Glue Free(ish) GPIO GBZ w/ Pocket Adventures Helpers

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
manyxcxi

Glue Free(ish) GPIO GBZ w/ Pocket Adventures Helpers

Post by manyxcxi » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Just about finished with another build, some cleanup left to do. This was my first build using some of the boards from John Till at Pocket Adventures (disclaimer: not an ad, I bought everything myself, I've not had any contact with them, etc. etc.). My goal was to be as glue free as possible with as little case trimming as possible, the only things glued down are the 3D printed brackets themselves and the volume wheel, speaker, and micro USB port. First time with no hot glue! I used a little moldable glue to hold the speaker and MicroUSB port in nice and solid.

The Pocket Adventures GPIO assist board is massively helpful and John has done a good job of making his various boards work well together. The PWM filter can solder directly onto the assist board and the input/output wiring between the button board and assist board are placed so you can use very short wires with easy routes. I found the PWM board to crowd the composite connections and input power some, but everything is very manageable.
Front InternalsShow
I printed a couple of spanner brackets to hold the cartridge in snug, but the cart can go in and out freely.
Rear InternalsShow
Minor trimming in the battery compartment. Because of the clear cart, I decided to put the powerboost in the battery bay and use the connector port for the charging socket. It meant some longer wires than usual, but it worked out pretty well.
Clear CartShow
Battery CompartmentShow
Micro USB socketShow
SD Card SideShow
Top / Front
Because of the clear cartridge, I decided to flush mount an LED to the case instead of the usual route of putting them in the cartridge. Because I'm not done cleaning everything up I haven't put the screen bezel on yet, but it'll cleanup the rough cuts nicely.
Flush mount LEDShow
FrontShow

rodocop

Re: Glue Free(ish) GPIO GBZ w/ Pocket Adventures Helpers

Post by rodocop » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 am

Looks nice. I like the 3d part to allow the micro usb to fit the ext slot. It's a nice touch!