Robots86 Gameboy Mod V3 - pi3 Edition

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Robots86

Robots86 Gameboy Mod V3 - pi3 Edition

Post by Robots86 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:49 am

01 R86GBMWRPI.jpg
01 R86GBMWRPI.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
Hi Sudomod

V1 was a fail. I wasn’t happy with the case and it turned out that not all was working by time i thought it was complete. With so much glue and wire to mess with i decided to put that to one side and move on to V2. I was much happier with the design and everything worked this time round.

So I’ve got the bug and I’m now onto V3, this time I’m using an Rpi3.

I want more power…. PSX, N64 & PSP games playable

I want more buttons…. L2, R2 & PSP joystick

I will try and document the process this time round :mrgreen:

Most of the parts for this will be salvaged from V1. Im going to pick up a new case once I have decided on the colour scheme.
Right now I'm still really on the design stage. I've started tearing apart my pi3 so i can make it as low profile as possible. Desoldering sucks.

02 BL.jpg
02 BL.jpg (46.15 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
Front side is simple enough. X & Y will be located as they were in the previous builds. The addition being the joystick sitting bottom left. Im not sure on the exact placement for this yet.

03 SC.jpg
03 SC.jpg (47.1 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
Same again for this. There will be a small lip running around the cutout for the screen protector to rest on.

04 BC.jpg
04 BC.jpg (32.5 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
Im a little stuck here with my placement. So far I have decided that the pi3 will be sitting in the cartridge slot. With that in mind I’m not sure whether i will be able to fit the buttons where i wanted them. I could maybe have them towards the bottom on the battery cover or even on either side of the case…..
Im considering using the front style gameboy buttons rather than using SNES or tactile back buttons like I did on my 2 previous builds.

Plan of action

* Desolder the remaining ports off the pi3. I may leave a USB for now to use during the testing phase.
* Order a new case, buttons, screen protector & PSP joystick
* Figure out placement. I won't need a USB hub or USB dac this time round so hopefully this will help with the extra space needed for a pi3
* Cut & drill case for buttons and internal space
* Figure out how to setup joystick to work with teensy. So far all i know is that I need to use the analog pins.
* Stick it all together with a bit of solder and glue

Here we go again :mrgreen:

chiz

Re: Robots86 Gameboy Mod V3 - pi3 Edition

Post by chiz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Sorry to hear about v1 and good luck on v3!

I like how you presented the GB case with the mods. Is that something available for download or you drew using Illustrator or some other vector drawing program? It's crisp and yet you managed to add some retro feel to it with the texts! 8-)

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks chiz. I use a basic paint program i have on my mac called sketchbook pro and the game girl font i found on google. Its not a vector its just a standard jpg

chiz

Post by chiz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Robots86 wrote:Thanks chiz. I use a basic paint program i have on my mac called sketchbook pro and the game girl font i found on google. Its not a vector its just a standard jpg
Oh... I also use Sketchbook Pro (for Windows) and was hoping your GB case is up to scale with the button placements. I'm looking for a vector drawing so I can make a 3D model of the GB case for my future builds. Sorry for the slightly off-topic discussion.

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:29 pm

chiz wrote:
Robots86 wrote:Thanks chiz. I use a basic paint program i have on my mac called sketchbook pro and the game girl font i found on google. Its not a vector its just a standard jpg
Oh... I also use Sketchbook Pro (for Windows) and was hoping your GB case is up to scale with the button placements. I'm looking for a vector drawing so I can make a 3D model of the GB case for my future builds. Sorry for the slightly off-topic discussion.
I don't think its to scale but looks a good estimate. I think theres a trace program on sketchbook or it may be on GIMP.

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:10 am

So after reading up on other posts it appears i may come across some heating issues. I will need to figure out if it will be possible to fit a heatsink or fan, maybe with a cut out that sits flush with the case. If that fails i may have to look at other options like the wii u or gamegear. The neo geo pocket would be cool :mrgreen:

Sikkel

Post by Sikkel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:54 am

Hi I'm really interested if you have any overheating issues I am a complete noob and I'm going straight in with a pi 3. I'm still researching everything all I have is a replacement case, the pi3 and just managed to order the all in one pcb.