BadBert's GBZ Build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
BadBert

Re: BadBert's GBZ Build

Post by BadBert » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:02 am

OK... i had some time to work on the GBZ, things i got done:
  • Wire up udb DAC (remove the bulky connectors first)
  • Wire up the audio amp (stereo)
  • Wire up the 3,5mm jack
  • Wire up the volume pot
  • Wire up the teensy to the usb hub
it is not usefull to take pictures of every step now... but a few pics:
So removed all bulky connectors of the USB DAC and added wires:

And here everything for the audio is wired up :)
As you can see, i already used the tip from @Wermy on the stereo audio using the resistors :)

Only thing left for the audio is hooking up the amp to the power strip :)

New todo list:
  • Mounting audio parts.
  • Wire up the external USB to the usb hub
  • last little bits of soldering (power strip)
  • Glue in the screen protector
  • close the gbz up
  • set everything up (screen size/position, font size, load roms etc)
  • ENJOY PLAYING :D
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:15 am

After reading and looking some more, i realise i have made a mistake...

i wired the audio like this:
USB DAC -> AMP -> POT (after market) -> gb jack and speaker

So i'll change that to:
USB DAC -> POT (after market) -> AMP -> gb jack and speaker

Zero

Post by Zero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:47 am

Why would you need the amp to boost the headphones? Shouldn't it go ... USB dac > headphone jack > amp > speaker. :?:

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:16 am

Actually, have you tested it with the amp totally removed from the circuit? The USB DAC has an amp built in. You might not need it.

Also, note that the PAM8403 amp you're using is basically TWO amps that do not share a common ground. If you're merging the negative output from the left and right channel, you're basically hooking two amps into each other. From what I've gathered online, if the left channel is outputting louder audio than the right, it might conduct a current INTO the right channel and fry the amp.

Here's a blog post by a guy who tried to find a good way to merge the grounds. I tried the first and second methods he listed. I agreed with him on the first method -- it sounded bad. The second method sounded great; and I'm okay if there's a little bit of crosstalk between the L and R channels. In my case, I used two 10ohm resistors, and two 100nF capacitors that I desoldered from the original DMG PCB. Instead of simply merging the R(-) and L(-) into a single output, I recommend doing what's pictured below when wiring out of the R(-) and L(-) terminals: (Someone please correct me if I have the cap polarity backwards. It's never called out anywhere that I can find, but this seems how it'd go.)

Image Image

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:18 pm

RxBrad wrote:Actually, have you tested it with the amp totally removed from the circuit? The USB DAC has an amp built in. You might not need it
I have not... But if i read your whole story... I think I'll let the amp out then, way simpler...
Zero wrote:Why would you need the amp to boost the headphones? Shouldn't it go ... USB dac > headphone jack > amp > speaker. :?:
Wermy also has it going from the amp to.the jack, and then to the speaker.

Thanks guys

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:18 pm

RxBrad wrote:Actually, have you tested it with the amp totally removed from the circuit? The USB DAC has an amp built in. You might not need it
I have not... But if i read your whole story... I think I'll let the amp out then, way simpler...
Zero wrote:Why would you need the amp to boost the headphones? Shouldn't it go ... USB dac > headphone jack > amp > speaker. :?:

Thanks guys

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:19 am

BadBert wrote:

Thanks guys
Wermy didn't use an USB dac but the GPIO pins. They need boosting.
The USB dac I used wasn't strong enough to power the speaker but was good for headphone use. So I added the amp behind the headphone jack to only power the speaker.

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:00 am

alien0matic wrote: Wermy didn't use an USB dac but the GPIO pins. They need boosting.
The USB dac I used wasn't strong enough to power the speaker but was good for headphone use. So I added the amp behind the headphone jack to only power the speaker.
Ok, thanks.

I'll first try it without the amp, if that does not work, i'll use one channel of the amp to the speaker :)

PolletjeNL

Post by PolletjeNL » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:20 am

Does this also apply for a USB audio card instead of the DAC?? I am using a Audio out / Mic in combo card with it's own volume buttons.

Link to the USB Sound card
RxBrad wrote:Actually, have you tested it with the amp totally removed from the circuit? The USB DAC has an amp built in. You might not need it.

Also, note that the PAM8403 amp you're using is basically TWO amps that do not share a common ground. If you're merging the negative output from the left and right channel, you're basically hooking two amps into each other. From what I've gathered online, if the left channel is outputting louder audio than the right, it might conduct a current INTO the right channel and fry the amp.

Here's a blog post by a guy who tried to find a good way to merge the grounds. I tried the first and second methods he listed. I agreed with him on the first method -- it sounded bad. The second method sounded great; and I'm okay if there's a little bit of crosstalk between the L and R channels. In my case, I used two 10ohm resistors, and two 100nF capacitors that I desoldered from the original DMG PCB. Instead of simply merging the R(-) and L(-) into a single output, I recommend doing what's pictured below when wiring out of the R(-) and L(-) terminals: (Someone please correct me if I have the cap polarity backwards. It's never called out anywhere that I can find, but this seems how it'd go.)

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:48 am

@PolletjeNL - you won't need to worry about any of the stuff to merge grounds. That's just for that particular amp.

As far as needing an amp at all: it depends on how much power output that particular USB card has. I'd say it's a safe bet you won't need an amp between the soundcard and the headphone. You may still need an amp between the headphone jack and speaker though. Try it without an amp first and see if the speaker is loud enough.
Image Image