Kilren's No-OEM parts build [Complete]

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
dirtybeagles

Re: Kilren's No-OEM parts build [Complete]

Post by dirtybeagles » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:58 am

@Kilren

It's been a fun adventure and it looks like you have more to come with your new addition. It was great working with you getting through the headaches of sound design but I am glad we got through it. Hopefully we can meet in this life or the next 8-)

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:43 pm

Kilren wrote:I didn't deal with the original one, so I don't have a good comparison. It is low profile though, and it works.
Right. I mean so long as it works it's probably automatically better than the original simply because it's low profile. If it didn't work then we would have to tear up an original gameboy every time we wanted to make this. :[

Thanks for confirmation though; can't wait to buy a couple of those for my next builds.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:00 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:It's been a fun adventure and it looks like you have more to come with your new addition. It was great working with you getting through the headaches of sound design but I am glad we got through it. Hopefully we can meet in this life or the next 8-)
Ha! Completing this project has made it sound like death! :P I'm gearing up to start another one in a week or two. :D
As for meeting up, I'm all game. Now, I just have to finish school and get a paycheck. :shock:

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Kilren,

What power switch did you use and where did you purchase? Does the power switch slide the correct distance?

Does the speaker cut off when the headphones are plugged in?

Sorry I have so many questions but I would like to make an attempt at a 2nd build with no OEM parts if you have any links for what you used. I just feel terrible hacking up another original gameboy.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Rod2D2 wrote:Kilren,

What power switch did you use and where did you purchase? Does the power switch slide the correct distance?

Does the speaker cut off when the headphones are plugged in?

Sorry I have so many questions but I would like to make an attempt at a 2nd build with no OEM parts if you have any links for what you used. I just feel terrible hacking up another original gameboy.
No problem! Here's the power switch, it works fine and feels pretty familiar. Had to cut the legs to fit, but that's part of the project. ebay

And yup, the headphones cuts the speaker!

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:53 am

Nice one! Congratulations!!

kakan

Post by kakan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:04 pm

How is your cartride reader holding up? I had to cut mine down a little more but I'm worried it won't hold that great.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:21 pm

kakan wrote:How is your cartride reader holding up? I had to cut mine down a little more but I'm worried it won't hold that great.
You're talking just of the Nintendo ds replacement part right (super tired :-P)? I used a small piece of perf board underneath to give it a little support and then I used only 5-min epoxy for my bond and put it on pretty think (between case and perf board. Between perf board and cartridge reader, and then a layer of epoxy as a plate across the top) . The bond will not be my failure (if one comes along). It is fairly snug and I don't worry about it. I wouldn't recommend superglue or hot glue though.

kakan

Post by kakan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Kilren wrote:
kakan wrote:How is your cartride reader holding up? I had to cut mine down a little more but I'm worried it won't hold that great.
You're talking just of the Nintendo ds replacement part right (super tired :-P)? I used a small piece of perf board underneath to give it a little support and then I used only 5-min epoxy for my bond and put it on pretty think (between case and perf board. Between perf board and cartridge reader, and then a layer of epoxy as a plate across the top) . The bond will not be my failure (if one comes along). It is fairly snug and I don't worry about it. I wouldn't recommend superglue or hot glue though.
I was going down that path. I will make sure the hardware fits and wiring before I bond it to the case. Thanks for the tips :)

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:06 pm

@kilren I got my replacement cartridge readers in today.

Holy crap. These things are MINISCULE.

[spoiler="TINY"]Image
Image[/spoiler]