Custom GameBoy Gray Raspberry Pi 3B

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
SergioPoverony

Custom GameBoy Gray Raspberry Pi 3B

Post by SergioPoverony » Thu May 07, 2020 4:48 am

From Russia with love

Sorry, my english is bad. More Photo under spoiler.

Case: GameBoy is grey.
Glass frame: Black
Screen: DPI boards 8bitcustoms + 640*480 LCD
Heart: Raspberry Pi 3B v1.2
Controller: 8bitcustoms version 5 (Arduino, analog PSV, Pam8403 sound, battery status)
Output: 3.5 Jack - sound and video
Speaker: rubberized
Charging: 4 chips
Booster: Red
Battery: 5100Mah
Last edited by SergioPoverony on Thu May 07, 2020 6:29 am, edited 6 times in total.

SergioPoverony

Re: Custom GameBoy Gray Raspberry Pi 3B

Post by SergioPoverony » Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 am

Hullwork. Grey body and cartridge housing.
SpoilerShow
The first thing I do is remove the front panel fixing drains. I'll mark the places I'll clean on the front and back of the case. I'll also mark the cartridge parts.
SpoilerShow
After I've cleaned up, I try everything on. I pull the cartridge body and glue it on.
SpoilerShow
Ordered 3D printing for screen frame and button wells. These are the details.
SpoilerShow
Place the panel with the buttonholes on the front panel, mark and make holes. I watch the buttons stand up. Normally stand up ))) at the same time make an opening for analogue stick.
SpoilerShow
Last edited by SergioPoverony on Thu May 07, 2020 5:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

SergioPoverony

Post by SergioPoverony » Thu May 07, 2020 4:56 am

Then I prepare the screen controller board and screen. The board from 8bitcustoms. I take the controller board and solder all the elements on it.
SpoilerShow
I try on the parting and solder it too. I throw in the screen and check.
SpoilerShow
Moving on to expansion boards and gamepad.
SpoilerShow
First, I deal with expansion cards, solder charging and USB connectors. Volume control as well as cipher buttons. I place it in the back of the case, adjust and move to the gamepad.
SpoilerShow
Hurried up a little bit and melted the sound amplifier to the LM. And I should have solder the PAM. I'm trying on the controller board. GamePad as DPI board i made for Adam - From 8bitcustoms.
SpoilerShow
Preparing the place for the screen installation. I'm gluing a double-sided, thin tape around the perimeter.
SpoilerShow
I place the screen in the frame of the holder. I put everything in its place and pass the perimeter with thermal adhesive.
SpoilerShow
Setting up the frame of the wells, placing the buttons. Arranging rubber bands, a little bit of them have to be cut, but it does not affect the performance. After that, I press the game controller with the screws. I collect everything...
SpoilerShow
I prepare the power line and prepare the Raspberry in parallel, removing connectors and part of the board.
SpoilerShow
Last edited by SergioPoverony on Thu May 07, 2020 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

SergioPoverony

Post by SergioPoverony » Thu May 07, 2020 5:29 am

Now I'm preparing Raspberry to install the radiator. I'm gluing a thermal tape around the processor. I use thermally conductive double-sided adhesive tape (especially for radiators) to attach the radiator. I am preparing the radiator. A small part needs to be removed.
SpoilerShow
I'm preparing everything and grouping it together to tighten the hull. Checking for inclusion and operability.
SpoilerShow
Beautiful pictures
SpoilerShow

DaRk_dOg

Post by DaRk_dOg » Thu May 07, 2020 6:00 am

Wow awesome work! The 640x480 screen in DPI is a nice new addition to the non Circuit Sword builds!

SergioPoverony

Post by SergioPoverony » Thu May 07, 2020 6:09 am

DaRk_dOg wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:00 am
Wow awesome work! The 640x480 screen in DPI is a nice new addition to the non Circuit Sword builds!
Lovely screen, but it costs a lot of money.

DaRk_dOg

Post by DaRk_dOg » Thu May 07, 2020 6:44 am

SergioPoverony wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:09 am
Lovely screen, but it costs a lot of money.
What's the approximate price of a screen like that? Is it an easy part to find? Also did it need any trim to the sides of the shell?

(btw good luck with the new DPI adapter, its nice to see fresh parts in such a restricted market :D )

SergioPoverony

Post by SergioPoverony » Thu May 07, 2020 7:02 am

DaRk_dOg wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:44 am
What's the approximate price of a screen like that? Is it an easy part to find? Also did it need any trim to the sides of the shell?
(btw good luck with the new DPI adapter, its nice to see fresh parts in such a restricted market :D )
The dollar rate in my country depends on oil. This screen from suppliers costs ~35 dollars.
Thank you for your respect.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu May 07, 2020 7:38 am

is that a 40-pin dpi adapter? i just picked up an adafruit dpi kippah on ebay for a couple bucks, and i have been thinking about what kind of build to put it in, and a good screen to pair it with. at the moment, a pi4-based game gear is the idea that's been occupying my head-space the most. i don't want to go too crazy with the screen price tho, but around $30/35 usd might not be too bad. yours does look pretty slick :)