Build Log: First Time Builder

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
infinitLoop

Re: Build Log: First Time Builder

Post by infinitLoop » Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 am

Dividion wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am
infinitLoop wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 pm
if you're doing a an actual teensy, your best bet is to follow wermy's guide. if i recall correctly, it can be tricky getting the arduino ide to work with it. tinkerboy's guide uses a pro micro so i'm not sure it'll work on a teensy. the buttons are already mapped in his code sample.
Actually, it should just be a matter of changing the target device from Arduino Leonardo (aka Pro Micro) to the Teensy. The big difference is that Wermy's guide sets the microcontroller to act as a Keyboard, whereas tinkerBOY's sets it as a Joystick. I used a Teensy and Wermy's guide for my very first build, and I kept running into issues with it registering multiple keypresses.
don't you also have to have that teensy loader tool on top of the ide? i just seem to remember having a hard time getting the right versions of those two to work together. i eventually did, but i just recall it not being as straight-forward as an actual arduino. it has been a while tho.

Dividion

Post by Dividion » Thu May 28, 2020 1:34 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 am
Dividion wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am
infinitLoop wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 pm
if you're doing a an actual teensy, your best bet is to follow wermy's guide. if i recall correctly, it can be tricky getting the arduino ide to work with it. tinkerboy's guide uses a pro micro so i'm not sure it'll work on a teensy. the buttons are already mapped in his code sample.
Actually, it should just be a matter of changing the target device from Arduino Leonardo (aka Pro Micro) to the Teensy. The big difference is that Wermy's guide sets the microcontroller to act as a Keyboard, whereas tinkerBOY's sets it as a Joystick. I used a Teensy and Wermy's guide for my very first build, and I kept running into issues with it registering multiple keypresses.
don't you also have to have that teensy loader tool on top of the ide? i just seem to remember having a hard time getting the right versions of those two to work together. i eventually did, but i just recall it not being as straight-forward as an actual arduino. it has been a while tho.
Yep. You need to install the Teensyduino stuff as well. Maybe it's gotten better since I used it. That was a couple years ago.

But they're both Atmega32U4 chips, so you'd expect them to work equally well. After that experience though I've mostly stuck to using the GPIO pins instead, but I've used Pro Micros for a bunch of other things, which are also quite a bit cheaper.
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu May 28, 2020 2:27 pm

Dividion wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:34 pm

But they're both Atmega32U4 chips, so you'd expect them to work equally well. After that experience though I've mostly stuck to using the GPIO pins instead, but I've used Pro Micros for a bunch of other things, which are also quite a bit cheaper.
yeah, me too generally now. i think people are apprehensive about soldering to the pi's gpio at first (i know i was), even though that is by far the easiest to implement, and seems like the best method for input lag/responsiveness. but, getting some experience with the arduino and python stuff is worthwhile too if you want to learn about this stuff, and i can see if you don't manage wires well, it could be a struggle to fit all those gpio wires in there. plus there just isn't as good of a guide as wermy's original out there, so people still just follow his approach at first, it seems

solidus

Post by solidus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 am

My current first build is very similar to yours. Ill be watching :)

Spykerwolf

Post by Spykerwolf » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:27 am

Any update? How's it going?