GBZ wiring check

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
nmogv2

GBZ wiring check

Post by nmogv2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:13 pm

I just did a mock up and was looking for someone to double check my work. It is using a pi 3A+
Attachments
Wiring Guide 1.png
Wiring Guide 1.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 3698 times

infinitLoop

Re: GBZ wiring check

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am

nmogv2 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:13 pm
I just did a mock up and was looking for someone to double check my work. It is using a pi 3A+
you don't need the 5v power going to both the main power and the gpio 5v. thats redundant. use the main (not gpio) one for better protection against power issues.

the audio would be better off with the L output near/under the composite jack, since that is the default source (that doesnt exist on the zero which is why you need to push pwm out of the gpio).

also the 1000c is probably not going to be able to support the a+ and that screen. you'll run into a lot of power issues. tinkerboy has a psu with a safe shutdown built in that he says should support this tho.

are you going to wire the buttons to the pi? they are not going to work on that model, like that.

nmogv2

Post by nmogv2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:02 pm

also the 1000c is probably not going to be able to support the a+ and that screen. you'll run into a lot of power issues. tinkerboy has a psu with a safe shutdown built in that he says should support this tho.
Why wouldnt the 1000c be able to support both the screen and the pi3a+? Do you have any other power supply recommendations like the 1000c, because I am making a custom case and the layout wouldnt really work with the tinker boy one.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:17 pm

nmogv2 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:02 pm
Why wouldnt the 1000c be able to support both the screen and the pi3a+? Do you have any other power supply recommendations like the 1000c, because I am making a custom case and the layout wouldnt really work with the tinker boy one.
the 1000c can only output 1 amp ("1000" ma) - the a+ recommends you have a 2.5 amp power supply. couple that with one of those screens, which are made to work off 12v and can really pull current if you don't rewire it to 5v (and even then, a backlit lcd is just a power hog), not to mention the sound amp on that board and anything else in there.

other than tinkerboy's, i don't know. helder has a high-amp psu in development, but i don't think that it is available yet. you could try other 2+ amp psu boards that are on the market from china and elsewhere, but i can't recommend any of them in particular, so you're probably on your own with those, and it's possible that a bad psu could wreck your components.

nmogv2

Post by nmogv2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:26 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:24 pm
look for "5v boost charge circuit"

like -> https://www.amazon.com/MakerFocus-Disch ... YFORDAPCSD

or -> https://www.amazon.com/daier-Li-ion-Car ... YFORDAPCSD

both of those say they do 2amp - but use at your own risk. i have never used those in raspberry pi builds.
Okay so I did some more searching and I now see the issue. The Pi 0w would pull something like 5V and .2A - .4A, the Pi 3A+ pulls 5V and .4A+, which means there is only .6A left at best for the screen, button board, speaker, and amp, which would likely lead to power draw issues. right?

If I got something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/MakerFocus-Disch ... 244&sr=8-2

And wired it to the purple PCB power strip from the original image, it would supply up to 5V and 2A to ALL of the things I connect it to?

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 pm

yes, essentially - i don't know if those numbers are accurate, but that's the idea.

and yes, the purple pcb is just a power strip to keep all your 5v and gnd power connections organized.

btw - that button board isn't powered. those extra "5v" pads are there to power the sound and and to serve the same purpose as that power strip. you will need to run each of the button pins to gpio pins and run adafruit's retrogame for the controls.