Noob having issue with SD Card/Cartridge component with n64 cart

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
jdubbsthedev

Noob having issue with SD Card/Cartridge component with n64 cart

Post by jdubbsthedev » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Hello!

This might be better placed in the Other Project section, but I'm scratching my head on this one and was hoping someone who's built the SD Card/GBA cart component can help me out cause I'm definitely an electronics beginner -

I'm working on an unrelated (to the GBZ) project and was hoping to use the same nifty SDCard-to-GameCartridge component from the GBZ tutorial - instead of a GB cart/connector I'm attempting to use an n64 cart and cart connector instead.

Additionally, I'm trying to connect the game cartridge connector not to the SD card pins on the bottom of the pi, but instead I've tried to solder the cables to a USB SD card reader which would then plug into the pi - See these pics here:

On my multimeter I'm getting continuity from each pad on the sd card converter to the back solder points on the USB Reader, but when I plug in a micro-sd card into the converter and the USB cable into my PC the usb device quickly flashes in the folder browser and then disappears, but the device is definitely getting picked up by windows, its just not reading the micro sd. - See this vid:

Based on all of the provided info Im pretty certain the problem is somewhere on my end - I'm not too happy with my soldering tbh, and the wire used on the sd card converter-game cart was really crappy to deal with, is there a certain gauge wire that might be better suited? The wires connecting the sd card reader and the game cart connector were some spare breadboard wires I had laying around.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :D