Purist GBZ build

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
bigmac888

Purist GBZ build

Post by bigmac888 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi

Looking for help to build a gameboy purist version

1. I want to use the contrast port to be a brightness adjustment control, anyone done this?

2. Really want USBC, I saw a few posts without any real clear guidance on doing this unless anyone has seen?

3. I saw a few people put the power board and sd card in the cartridge but again could find a guide for that.

4. Any really really easy way to get the battery indicator?

Appreciate the help, I am trying to keep the outside as 'clean' as possible but want it to be modern otherwise, have a few items coming from tinkerboy.

Spyder

Re: Purist GBZ build

Post by Spyder » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:55 pm

Are you wanting it to be a DMG (Original) or are you cool with a gameboy pocket? Might try to check out Retro ESP32. Its not a zero, but still does a bunch of classic systems.

EDIT-Forgot they are working on using a new screen right now since the ever popular other one is NLA.

bigmac888

Post by bigmac888 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm

I have the original one coming its an old gameboy that doesnt work but the shell is in good order.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:31 am

For the battery monitor I wouldn't say there is an "easy" way to do this but it's not too complicated. You can find some info on this forum thread, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4858&start=30

I've done it before and it just requires wiring up an extra board and adding some custom script that you can get from the mintipi. Search this thread I linked and the forums a bit and you should be able to figure it out.

I think for the contrast that would require the screen you're using to have that option built in. I know with Kite's kits they have a brightness option assigned to buttons but I think this is done through software and I'm not sure if you could assign it to a scroll wheel.

The USBC should be pretty simple. Just soldering the connection to your power supply. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it'd be that easy.

Putting the SD card in the game cartridge is something I think Wermy did in his first build and it's somewhat complicated. Requires a cartridge reader and a custom pcb, (unless you solder all the connections yourself) and you have to connect a lot of small parts together. I planned to do this and got all the parts but after looking into I didn't feel like I could pull it off.

bigmac888

Post by bigmac888 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:11 am

So I wired it all up and it works when I plug the USB into the Micro USB on the zero board, but power coming from anywhere else seems the make the screen get all lines and glitches show up - do you think I have a faulty PCB board from Tinkerboy?