Power but no image on screen

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
iTJ84

Power but no image on screen

Post by iTJ84 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:19 am

I recently bought a complete unused circuit sword kit from a forum member here a couple of months ago. I finally procured a battery for the project and it arrived last night. I plugged everything together to test and everything looks like it’s getting power when powered on through the USB-C port and/or the battery. Lights on the board come on and the screen is getting power, but nothing appears on the screen. It just stays black. I’ve let it sit there for several minutes but nothing happens. I doubled checked to make sure the img file was burned to the sd card and I’ve even swapped out the CM3 with a back up and it still does the same thing.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: forgot to add photo
Attachments
105E1F35-2375-4909-ACD3-D80E60F77E19.jpeg
105E1F35-2375-4909-ACD3-D80E60F77E19.jpeg (3.93 MiB) Viewed 2457 times

HankStarr

Re: Power but no image on screen

Post by HankStarr » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:35 am

Hi....Check the rear of the screen to ensure the HDMI link is associated firmly to the GPU and NOT the motherboard's HDMI opening. Normally the GPU opening is close to the top, so look at that. Additionally take a look at the association with the screen. This happened to me when I updated my GPU... furthermore, to fix it I turned off the two sides, shut off the framework, connected the two sides, and walked out on and it worked. Attempt these and see what occurs!

nuneberg

Post by nuneberg » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Hey.

What did you find out.?? I have the same issue.
new img flash.. but have 2 circuts sword buildts. and if i transfeer the sd card. the otherone works

iTJ84

Post by iTJ84 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:56 pm

I think I may have figured out the issue for it not booting.
I had to put the project down for a bit as you can see, but with time off for the holidays I decided to do a little bit more research. Found out the kit I got from a member here was actually a clone and not the real deal. Unsure if they were aware of what they got before they sold it, but it is what it is.

The compute modules I have are the normal CM3 (no + or lite). Didn’t think about it till I ordered a new kit via the clearance sale and noticed they’re shipped with the lite version. Looking more into it I realized why they’re using the lite version… the SD card reader. The CM3 with the eMMC memory bypasses the SD card reader and is looking for the image on the CM3. 🤦🏻‍♂️

So my question is, how would I go about loading the image file to the CM3 eMMC? Do I need to find one of those I/O boards?

Thanks for any input and Happy Holidays!

iTJ84

Post by iTJ84 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:11 am

Solved the issue and everything works now. It’s was indeed CM3 that was the issue. Since it had the 4gb of eMMC and bypassed the SD reader I was left with 2 options: Flash the CM3 with the CS img and be stuck with 4gb of memory or find a CM3 lite.

Finding an I/O board to the flash the CM3 that wasn’t expensive wasn’t easy and it’s practically impossible finding a CM3 lite that was in stock and without it being expensive either.

Doing more research it is possible to mod the CM3 to bypass the eMMC and have it read the SD card. Not the hardest thing, but not the easiest either, so I gave it shot and to my surprise everything is worked. Would have been 10x easier if I had a magnifier, but I just took my time and now I can now finish the build.

If anyone is interested I followed this vid:
https://youtu.be/8drpVs9aYfw