Can't install adafruit retrogame

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
EXTINTOR

Can't install adafruit retrogame

Post by EXTINTOR » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:31 am

Hi guys, this is my first build ever and I've been trying to install Adafruit's retrogame as I'm using a Tinkerboy v2.0.1 board but I can't manage to make it right. I soldered a female USB to the Pi so I can plug in a keyboard and type the installation command but I think I'm not getting any internet connection at all. I'm using a usb to ethernet adapter connected to a usb to micro usb adapter connected to the pi and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help on how to correclty install retrogame would be appreciated.
Attachments
bf3ca71f-8c8a-4895-8aeb-fa7fb1a24f52.png
bf3ca71f-8c8a-4895-8aeb-fa7fb1a24f52.png (2.4 MiB) Viewed 6784 times

rodocop

Re: Can't install adafruit retrogame

Post by rodocop » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:13 pm

the Pi zero only has one USB connection. You can't use a ethernet dongle and the keyboard at the same time. Even though you soldered a new USB plug, that is essentially just a copy of the micro usb on board. so plugging in a keyboard and the ethernet adapter will cause issues.

Check here on how to set up wifi without a keyboard. try that out. Once you get wifi set up, you can connect to the pi remotely with a program called putty and then use your computer as the keyboard to install retrogame.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Wifi/#conn ... a-keyboard

EXTINTOR

Post by EXTINTOR » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:07 pm

rodocop wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:13 pm
the Pi zero only has one USB connection. You can't use a ethernet dongle and the keyboard at the same time. Even though you soldered a new USB plug, that is essentially just a copy of the micro usb on board. so plugging in a keyboard and the ethernet adapter will cause issues.

Check here on how to set up wifi without a keyboard. try that out. Once you get wifi set up, you can connect to the pi remotely with a program called putty and then use your computer as the keyboard to install retrogame.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Wifi/#conn ... a-keyboard
But this is not a Pi Zero W but just a Pi Zero, will it work?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:20 pm

Only difference between a pi zero and pi zero w is the wireless functionality.

After reading your post more clearly, you have a usb to ethernet dongle correct? (I misread and thought a wifi dongle, sorry!).

If that's the case you still won't be able to have the etheret adapter and keyboard working at the same time.

Plug only the ethernet adapter in, check your home router settings to find the pi's IP, since it should connect to the internet via the direct ethernet connection. Then remote in with putty as I mentioned before.

Another alternative is to use a usb hub and connect the keyboard and ethernet adapter.

If you are having issues still double check the pp23 and pp24 pads, and make sure the soldered connection is good, and not bridged. Since that could cause issues if there is any bridging. (I can't tell by the picture posted. But those pads are very close together and easy to bridge together).

EXTINTOR

Post by EXTINTOR » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:23 pm

I used an USB hub and know I have both a keyboard and internet connection (I checked it on my router) but when I type:

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafr ... trogame.sh >retrogame.sh

I get:

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: hhtps
-bash: //raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/retrogame.sh >retrogame.sh: No such file or directory

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:50 pm

Did you also type cd first as stated in the instructions?

Three seperate commands. (Dont mind that sapce between the h ttps, that's just so a link doesn't show up)

cd
curl h ttps://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/retrogame.sh >retrogame.sh
sudo bash retrogame.sh

Potentially the link is out of date too? Don't have a pi to test myself

EXTINTOR

Post by EXTINTOR » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:00 am

That was the problem, thank you! Now I'm very close to finish it but my battery doesn't have a connector, just the two wires and I was wondering if I could just desolder the connector of the powerboost and solder de battery directly to the board somehow.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:42 am

EXTINTOR wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:00 am
That was the problem, thank you! Now I'm very close to finish it but my battery doesn't have a connector, just the two wires and I was wondering if I could just desolder the connector of the powerboost and solder de battery directly to the board somehow.
You don't even need to desolder the battery connector. You can solder to the contacts behind it, without removal. (But removing it is easy too)

Alternatively you can also solder to the Bat pin and a ground pin. (Red wire to Bat, black to ground). *(Assuming you're using a power boost 1000C)*

EXTINTOR

Post by EXTINTOR » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:28 pm

I already closed the case and I'm making some tests. Games get this error when launched, some starts some doesn't. And sound doesn't work, I tried pressing select for 15 seconds and typing cat/ proc/asound/modules on the console as I saw on a tutorial but I get "cat: /proc/asound/modules: No such file or directory" and I can´t continue.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:01 pm

EXTINTOR wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:28 pm
I already closed the case and I'm making some tests. Games get this error when launched, some starts some doesn't. And sound doesn't work, I tried pressing select for 15 seconds and typing cat/ proc/asound/modules on the console as I saw on a tutorial but I get "cat: /proc/asound/modules: No such file or directory" and I can´t continue.
GBA games need a bios file to boot if using the the lr-gpsp emulator, which is the default emulator.

You do not need a bios if you use the lr-mgba emulator.

You'll need to google and download the bios.bin file if you want them to work with gpsp.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Game-Boy-Advance/

As for sound what is your sound setup? PWM, usb? If it's only happening with GBA it might just be the bios/emulator issue. Does the sound work with other systems?