Unable to adjust volume

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
dusty594

Unable to adjust volume

Post by dusty594 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,

Running into a strange issue at the moment with my new Game Boy Zero build. Specifically, I am unable to change the volume output. I CAN change the volume percentage in RetroPie, but the actual volume coming out of the speaker does not change. I get navigation sounds in the RetroPie menu, and I get sound output when launching games, but output is stuck at 100% regardless of how I set the volume.

I am using TinkerBoy's v3.0 Controller, which uses USB audio. I have set it up per his instructions: https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/setting-up-us ... nd-output/

I have commented out the dtaudio param line in config.txt to disable the onboard audio, leaving USB audio as my only device. I have also tried with this enabled, and I have also tried explicitly setting it to "off". Makes no difference.

I have gone through literally hundreds of various forum posts relating to USB audio, ALSA, and every keyword combination I can think of to try and get to the bottom of this.

My audio card is set to default in the settings, audio device is set to PCM, OMX player audio device set to alsa. Changing the audio card or device causes my volume setting to not be saved, but regardless of what these settings are set to, I still get audio output at max volume.

I feel like I am very close to having this work perfectly, but there's just something I am missing and/or I am unaware of. Most posts are people who are unable to get sound output whatsoever, but that is not the case for me. I have found very little information about my specific issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dusty594

Re: Unable to adjust volume

Post by dusty594 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:12 am

Just wanted to throw another quick comment in here and say that I have just set up Batocera and everything appears to be working perfectly. Just had to select the audio output option and everything worked right away.

My likely solution at this point will probably be to run Batocera from here on out, but I am still curious what might have caused the aforementioned issue. Thanks all!