Reduce screen noise/flicker?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
redled

Reduce screen noise/flicker?

Post by redled » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:10 pm

TLDR: Is there a way to reduce the flicker/noise on my Version 8 screen?

Update: this post talks about how to reduce noise by using a shielded cable for grounding video as well as some other tips. I'll update this post as I learn more and try other techniques.

Hello SudoModers, I'm new here!

This Community is inspiring in how much you fine folks share and help each other. Reading many guides, posts and now lurking in the Discord has answered many questions.

My GBZ progress so far:
I am thirsty for more knowledge! After recently discovering wermy's gameboy zero project, I quickly ordered most of the parts and have begun assembling things.

1. Screen works on 5v; Rewired this Version 8 screen and it's mostly done being installed, just need to hot glue in place

2. Get Retropie playable; Setup Pi Zero W, wifi, ssh, Retropie, roms

3. Basic buttons work wired pcb + installed Adafruit-Retrogame; Used a cheapie basic button PCB and very carefully soldered directly to the Pi Zero W's GPIO pins based on prerunnerseth's excellent post/guide and Adafruit-Retrogame so the GPIO to pcb, setup retropie so the buttons work and games are playable

My GBZ problems right now:
Problem 1: Screen is noisy, mostly in the bottom half. Do I have other options besides buying an $80 640x480 screen that's essentially a Retina screen?
Problem 2: Button holds don't work as expected, like Princess jump in Super Mario 2. This could be because I don't have all the buttons wired like XY/LR and so Retropie is giving me weird shortcuts, but holding buttons doesn't work as they should.

Are my solders OK?

Any help or pointers to offer so I can better debug or understand these two issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
-Red
Last edited by redled on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VeteranGamer

Re: Reduce screen noise/flicker?

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:44 pm

redled wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:10 pm
TLDR: Is there a way to reduce the flicker/noise on my Version 8 screen?[/b]

you can try sheilding the video wire....

if you do a search there are posts about this already....

but if your expecting a crystal clear display..... a back up camera monitor that you've converted from 12v to 5v, which uses a composite video input, isnt gonna give you that....

basiclly dont expect much.....

redled

Post by redled » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:47 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks Veteran, will try shielding the video cables.

Do you recommend a screen? Is the Adafruit screen much higher quality for reduced noise/flicker compared to these cheapies? I'm very used to Apple Retina displays (i'm a designer/developer) and would be willing to upgrade to something better for my 2nd GBZ in the future! Thanks for your help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:22 pm

redled wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:47 pm
VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks Veteran, will try shielding the video cables.

Do you recommend a screen? Is the Adafruit screen much higher quality for reduced noise/flicker compared to these cheapies? I'm very used to Apple Retina displays (i'm a designer/developer) and would be willing to upgrade to something better for my 2nd GBZ in the future! Thanks for your help.
your never gonna get a display anywhere near a retina display....

and you really dont need/want something like that if playing retro games....

it might be an idea to consider a spi or dpi screen, you'll get a sharper display with both....

redled

Post by redled » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:22 pm
Fair enough!

Screen noise is what I'm trying to reduce, once that's gone I'll be happy.

Veteran, I'm hoping you can explain more around the ground/power shielding. Is the goal to A) separate/shield the ground from the power wire?, or B) the separate the power&ground from the other yellow/white video wires?

I don't seem to have a shielded cable around, so I'm hoping I can move the ground and separate the wires better and try some other things to achieve just a more steady picture.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:26 pm

redled wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 pm
VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:22 pm
Fair enough!

Screen noise is what I'm trying to reduce, once that's gone I'll be happy.

Veteran, I'm hoping you can explain more around the ground/power shielding. Is the goal to A) separate/shield the ground from the power wire?, or B) the separate the power&ground from the other yellow/white video wires?

I don't seem to have a shielded cable around, so I'm hoping I can move the ground and separate the wires better and try some other things to achieve just a more steady picture.

your shielding the video wire, not the 5v or GND (but you might wanna try shortening those cables, they have a alot of travel before they hit a power source)

have a look at this.....

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2850#p31328

redled

Post by redled » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:28 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:26 pm
your shielding the video wire, not the 5v or GND
Ah, yes I see now. Is the shield hooked up to anything, or it's just cut off and you're just using the inside wire on the yellow signal? Should I shield the white wire video signal too?

Thank you for answering my silly questions!

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:39 pm

redled wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:28 pm
VeteranGamer wrote:
Ah, yes I see now. Is the shield hooked up to anything, or it's just cut off and you're just using the inside wire on the yellow signal? Should I shield the white wire video signal too?

its hooked up to the ground at each end (one end to the main ground on the screens board and the other end to the point next to the video/tv point on the pi zero).....

hook up the main 5v & ground from the screens board to a power strip or proper power supply

also first try hooking everything up direct first.... all those connections (and tape wraps) could be causing a drop in the power supply and video signal.....

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:45 pm

redled wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:28 pm
VeteranGamer wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2850&start=10#p32549

redled

Post by redled » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 pm

I've installed the shielded cable, and still I see noise... :?

At best, I describe the noise as two types of visual disturbance: A) a moving and lightly colored static, it *seems* like jiggling a cable would fix it, but doesn't, it's noticeable on black screens especially and B) a refresh-rate type of flicker in the screen, that when i tilt the screen up 15 degrees the flicker appears to go away, but then everything looks darker and is harder to see. Perhaps the flicker is from reducing voltage to 5V?

1. Any advice or tips I can try to improve these conditions?

2. What display do you folks recommend that will produce a clean image, not necessarily high definition 640x480, but just a nice clean image free of noise, distortion and fuzz. Perhaps I'll just try to buy my way out of this problem and get the Adafruit 320x230 from wermy's first guide and hope I'm satisfied with the display quality.