Can't get a 3 pin potentiometer to work

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
xSP

Can't get a 3 pin potentiometer to work

Post by xSP » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Right now, im trying to get a 3 pin potentiometer from Handheld Legend to work (https://handheldlegend.com/collections/ ... d-contrast)

I can't find an exact pintout for this potentiometer. but from what I read, the left pin is groud, the middle pin is input, and the right pin is output. No matter how I wire it up, I can't seem to get any sound out of the speaker.

Im using Helder's low pass filter, a Pam8403 amp, and a 8ohm 2W speaker. I can get the speaker to work if its directly hooked up to the amp, but not with the potentiometer. Anyone have any suggestions?

joeygbsn

Re: Can't get a 3 pin potentiometer to work

Post by joeygbsn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:40 pm

Check with a multimeter. Find two pins that have the max resistance between them no matter what position the pot is in. Pick one of those to be ground and the other to be the input. The third pin is the wiper. When you measure the resistance between the wiper and one of the other pins you will get a resistance from 0-advertised value. If you use the wiper as the input you will short the signal to ground when you turn the pot all the way down.