mintyPi image for GBZ

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Lphillimore

mintyPi image for GBZ

Post by Lphillimore » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:38 am

So having built a fair few mintyPis, I''m a really big fan of HooloyHoo and Wermys scripts / config on the image :mrgreen:

With the latest v1.4 image offering some really nice improvements I wanted to see if I could bring some of these functions over to the GBZ.

Writing the mintyPi image to SD card and booting inside a GBZ will 'work' off the cuff as it will default to use the composite screen when it cannot find the SPI screen as used on mintyPi.

The stock mintyPi config has been altered however so the display / over-scan wont be right on a 3.5' screen without some intervention.

Stripping out the appropriate screen / over-scan sections rectifies this easily.

Feel free to download the amended config file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6lceram7e55i ... g.txt?dl=0

You'll also need to amend the Retrogame.config file to match your GBZ inputs otherwise your controls wont work.

I use a simple button PCB and GPIO wiring as per this thread by prerunnerseth:

viewtopic.php?t=57

My amended Retrogame.config file can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqslyks4lmhtm ... e.cfg?dl=0

Just amend the file to suit your wiring.

From here on out you'll be set to wire up your function button. This is wired to BCM7 which is the 8th pin in from left as per Wermys video:

http://www.sudomod.com/mintypi-battery- ... all-guide/

If you're lucky you might also even have some spare battery monitor boards by Helder - These will allow you to utilise the battery monitor element of the script :D

(These boards were originally sold as add-ons to the v1 mintyPi PCB but are unfortunately no longer available.)

All other functions, except that is for the screen dimming should work nicely.

EDIT: - You'll also need to amend the 'MintyCombo.ph file' (found within the MintyComboSctipt folder) to change the function key mappings to match your GPIO wiring otherwise your function keys wont work. Thanks to Rodocop for shouting this one out.

Having a 'Disable WiFi / Bluetooth' option is really beneficial for battery life and in some cases, performance improvement :lol:

Here's a picture from Rodocop who's recently set this up himself and introduced a battery monitor, too 8-)
gbz.JPG
gbz.JPG (27.69 KiB) Viewed 6739 times

rodocop

Re: mintyPi image for GBZ

Post by rodocop » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks for the shout out! Good info.

I tweaked my over scan a bit more and got an even better picture size I believe.

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 am

Hallo guys, I have a little question, can I add a function button even if I am using a teensy board? I was planing to add two buttons to the Teensy to use as + and - to adjust my brightness and to add a function button to the GPIO would that work? can you please tell me which command do I need to add and to which document? thanks a lot

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Mario.Semiglia wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 am
Hallo guys, I have a little question, can I add a function button even if I am using a teensy board? I was planing to add two buttons to the Teensy to use as + and - to adjust my brightness and to add a function button to the GPIO would that work? can you please tell me which command do I need to add and to which document? thanks a lot

you can add the function button via the GPIO, no problem....

but the mintyPi.img has been setup to work with GPIO controls and more importantly a SPI screen (not a BW/composite)...
if you dont have a SPI screen and vitally something similar or setup like the one Helder provides in his kits
(not 100%, but i think hes added something to his boards to allow the ability to adjust the brightness)
the brightness function is not going to work....

if your not using a SPI screen and dont have GPIO for controls, the mintyPi.img is really not suited to your build....

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Thinking of releasing the board for the LCD with backlight control to OSHPark after the mintyPi v3 is released so you guys can use it for any project that uses these 18pin LCDs.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Helder wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 pm
Thinking of releasing the board for the LCD with backlight control to OSHPark after the mintyPi v3 is released so you guys can use it for any project that uses these 18pin LCDs.
That would be sweeeet :mrgreen:

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 pm

As per discussions here: https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4585

There are now cheap battery monitoring options available for use on your projects.

mouth78

Post by mouth78 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Hello.

I burnt mintyPi_v4 and works OK with a 3.2" SPI TFT LCD but I want to try with the last version, Mintypi v3, but screen doesnt works properly, screen flickers and show strange and deformed figures. Have I to change something in config.txt to work?

Thanks.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:19 pm

mouth78 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:53 pm
Hello.

I burnt mintyPi_v4 and works OK with a 3.2" SPI TFT LCD but I want to try with the last version, Mintypi v3, but screen doesnt works properly, screen flickers and show strange and deformed figures. Have I to change something in config.txt to work?

Thanks.
the v3 utilizes a totally different screen than the older v1 and v2 screens (it uses the 2.6" ILI9342). You will likely have to disable the screen drivers for the ILI9342, and then install the proper drivers for the 3.2" ILI9341. Is there a specific reason you want to use the minty pi v3 image over the older one?

mouth78

Post by mouth78 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Thanks rodocop.

With mintyPi_v4 screen quality is not very good, when scrolling is little blur and vertical sync is poor. I want to try if this version improves the quality of my screen...
I know there are better options to use mi screen (SPI TFT LCD ILI9341 3.2"), like: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7389 , but with a clean install of retroipe i have to reinstall battery indicator, music ... furthemore with mintypi_V4 the emulators are more optimiced and runs more soft... with clean retropie I only had about 42FPS with Castlevania in megadrive emulator...

I am trying diferents options, do you know some image to use with my screen?

Thanks.