I bought this kit from ebay and need some additional help

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Pingu69

I bought this kit from ebay and need some additional help

Post by Pingu69 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:50 am

So I bought this kit from ebay and I wondered is this all I need?
I already bought the BW 3.5" TFT from amazon, and I already have a battery.

Now I wondered which Pi Zero do I need? Can I use the W edition, or do I need a different one. Also is this really all I need? Already have the tools. Also which guide should I use? I see parts that are used in the old guide, but also in the new guide like the 3D printed stuff.
The seller also includes a PSP analog stick, but I don't know why you would need one?

Thanks for the help

rodocop

Re: I bought this kit from ebay and need some additional help

Post by rodocop » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:16 am

So for that kit, it is pretty much all you will need. If you have a screen and battery you're golden. As for the guides, check out wermy's original guides, and his guide with custom parts. There isn't a full on guide for that kit, but you will find what you need here on the forums, you'll just have to do some searching. Some people use the analog stick and place in between the face buttons and direction buttons, up to you if you want it. It will connect with the teesny. As for the Pi, may as well use the pi zero W. wifi is very helpful. I've used plain pi zero's but its a pain to need a usb wifi adapter. You can also use a pi3 if you are confident in your skills, since a lot of the pi will need to be desoldered and removed.

you may want to get a screen cover like this as well:

https://handheldlegend.com/collections/ ... ass-screen

There are also lots of options for should buttons now as well, so if you don't want to use those little tactile switches you can buy some bigger ones, of even check the buy/sell section for Erik_Gee's should button brackets.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:23 am

I also will recommend these 3D parts to hold the screen and extra buttons well. It's the best.

viewtopic.php?t=2553

or he has a slightly updated version here which looks nice too, has a place to connect the pi and a spot for the USB and audio wheel:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4672&start=10#p50965

vnman

Post by vnman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 am

You need also SD Card, you can get away with 16GB but 32GB is preferred.

If you have a Pi Zero lying around you can use that.

If you need to order a Pi Zero then go for the Raspberry Pi Zero W or even Orange Pi. Bluetooth is useful, wifi not that useful (you only need wifi if you need to change config / update retropie...).

Up to you what kind of systems you want to play then you can decide if you want to use the analog stick. Remember that the Pi Zero (W) is not powerful enough to emulate N64, for N64 system you need analog stick and Pi 3.

I see that screen protector is not included with the kit, you need that too.

vnman

Post by vnman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 am

I totally agree with rodocop on Holyhoo's AIO brackets, those are the beasts.

As for the tactile buttons if you want your fingers to hurt when playing games then use those...otherwise check erik_gee's back buttons...
http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3805

Pingu69

Post by Pingu69 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks guys for the helpful information!

I wondered if it would work with this battery? And if it would work if I just solder on a jst cable.

Also, since I live in europe, I can't really buy any homemade stuff from the US, shipping is very expensive (especially for small parts which get lost easy)

vnman

Post by vnman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 am

You could use any LiPo 3.7 v battery, but I would not recommend that you solder direct to the battery. Atleast use pogo stick adapter if you intend to use the battery you mentioned.

Almost everyone here use the flat LiPo type, search on aliexpress / ebay for "125054" battery and you will find plenty. Recommended is 3000mAh and over....

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:55 am

Pingu69 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:12 am
Thanks guys for the helpful information!

I wondered if it would work with this battery? And if it would work if I just solder on a jst cable.

Also, since I live in europe, I can't really buy any homemade stuff from the US, shipping is very expensive (especially for small parts which get lost easy)
If ordering 3d parts from the US is no good, then download the STL files and use something like 3D hubs, maybe you have someone local that can print it for you?

I have used a battery similar to that one, but you have to solder directly to the battery. It the case of a battery like that I have placed them in the cartridge slot, and covered them up with a cartridge. The battery I used was this though:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Samsung-Gal ... 2749.l2649

I have since started to use these batteries which fit perfectly into the battery compartment:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-7V-4000mAh-Li ... 2749.l2649