show me your audio wiring

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Casperdroid5

show me your audio wiring

Post by Casperdroid5 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:36 am

Hey I'm Casper and I'm starting to get familiar with the gameboy zero and its problems hihi,
So I managed to fix the usb hub, but now I have trouble with my audio.

Their is no sound when scrolling trough retropie and there is a hissing sound.
I was hoping if you could show me your audio set up so I can copy it.
  • Im using a adafruit 2,5W audio amplifier (like in wermy's tutorial)
  • a 10 k potentialwheel
  • a headphone jack (the pj-324)
  • a 8ohm 1 watt speaker
This is my setup:
(on the headphone jack left in and left out are connected/bridget)
Attachments
IMG-0449.JPG
IMG-0449.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 4459 times
IMG-0448.JPG
IMG-0448.JPG (2 MiB) Viewed 4459 times
IMG-0447.JPG
IMG-0447.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 4459 times

rodocop

Re: show me your audio wiring

Post by rodocop » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Your wiring seems okay. But a bit messy. I recommend not splicing so many wires in random spots. And do not leave so much exposed wires.

As for hissing. That it pretty normal with pwm audio. You will likely always have some hissing. Also just to confirm. You have the proper text added to the config.txt?

That little amp also has a small screw pot on it (above a+, use a screw driver to adjust) I recommend maxing the volume in retropie. (Press start and find volume in there) then adjust the screw pot on the amp up or down to see if you get some sound.

For reference this is my audio diagram. Using an original headphone jack. I wrap the signal wire with the ground wiring. It seems to help with noise.
SpoilerShow
It's also a little hard to see what going on with the headphones. But make sure you check here for the pinout of your jack. You can always connect the speaker direct to the amp to ensure it works before connecting the headphones.

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701

Casperdroid5

Post by Casperdroid5 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 am

As always, thanks a lot for your (quick) response!
I Will follow your advice.

timothyfrost

Post by timothyfrost » Tue May 22, 2018 1:28 am

rodocop wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:57 pm
Your wiring seems okay. But a bit messy. I recommend not splicing so many wires in random spots. And do not leave so much exposed wires.

As for hissing. That it pretty normal with pwm audio. You will likely always have some hissing. Also just to confirm. You have the proper text added to the config.txt?

That little amp also has a small screw pot on it (above a+, use a screw driver to adjust) I recommend maxing the volume in retropie. (Press start and find volume in there) then adjust the screw pot on the amp up or down to see if you get some sound.

For reference this is my audio diagram. Using an original headphone jack. I wrap the signal wire with the ground wiring. It seems to help with noise.
SpoilerShow
It's also a little hard to see what going on with the headphones. But make sure you check here for the pinout of your jack. You can always connect the speaker direct to the amp to ensure it works before connecting the headphones.

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701
I'm using the 3 pin volume wheel and a five pin headphone jack which has 4 pins along the back and 1 pin in the front, could you help me out?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue May 22, 2018 7:03 am

You would just wire to one of the input and one of the output pins on the headphones. I assume its one of the jack's here (see link).

And for the volume wheel. A 3 pin will have audio in, audio out, and ground. I can't tell you the exact pins since I've only used 5 pin variants.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sudomod+ ... J6dFkapAOM: