Newbie with questions about 1st build.

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
rodocop

Re: Newbie with questions about 1st build.

Post by rodocop » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Seems like all you need to do is connect the red wore like seen. I've never used the screen but it should hopefully work with that mod.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:53 pm

tested it out and the screen is working!

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:12 am

rodocop wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm
So. First of All, welcome! As for the questions, gpio controls are simple, you will need to install a script though. I always follow this guide:

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

For audio here is a basic drawing I've made that allows mono audio using the adafruit amp. You will also need to add this to the config.txt
This diagram will need to be adjusted based on your headphone jack. Mine shows the original dmg jack taken from wermys guide.

dtoverlay=pwm,pin=18,func=2
SpoilerShow
For HDMI, it's Easy, you just need to adjust the pi so the HDMI port is visible. A lot of people place it out the contrast port. You may need to cut some of the battery compartment out to fit it.

One last thing. Retro gaming has stock in helders older v2 boards. Might be worth it. Even if you've bought all the other parts.

https://www.retrogamingnow.com/pro-shop ... -pcb-board
Ok, I have moved on to trying to wire the audio and I am not totally clear on the headphone jack. the jack I have looks like this,
The radio shack one.

So do I attach the cables coming from the amp to the "in" or the "out"?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:43 am

It all depends. So in my little diagram I am using mono audio. So only one channel.

Either way you want the signal going to the in, and everything else going out.

So if you have your amp first, then wire the output of the amp to the input of the headphone and then the output of the headphone to the speaker. And also run ground to the headphone then the speaker.

It's also a good idea to bridge right and left in and right and left out if planning mono audio.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Ok, I will get to this later today and I'm sure I'll let you know if I have any issues.

Something I'm starting to be concerned with it wire management. Do you have any tips on how to keep all these cables from getting out of hand? I'm now realizing a lot of my wires are too long so I'm going to go back and tighten everything up.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:40 pm

It's tough to keep everything clean. Try to keep the wires as short as possible. I also often use kapton tape(or some other tape) to hold wires in place when closing the case.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 pm

rodocop wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm
So. First of All, welcome! As for the questions, gpio controls are simple, you will need to install a script though. I always follow this guide:

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

For audio here is a basic drawing I've made that allows mono audio using the adafruit amp. You will also need to add this to the config.txt
This diagram will need to be adjusted based on your headphone jack. Mine shows the original dmg jack taken from wermys guide.

dtoverlay=pwm,pin=18,func=2
SpoilerShow
For HDMI, it's Easy, you just need to adjust the pi so the HDMI port is visible. A lot of people place it out the contrast port. You may need to cut some of the battery compartment out to fit it.

One last thing. Retro gaming has stock in helders older v2 boards. Might be worth it. Even if you've bought all the other parts.

https://www.retrogamingnow.com/pro-shop ... -pcb-board
Ok, I am trying to set up the audio now and I am feeling a bit confused. In your diagram is the green cable coming from the amp the signal and the grey cable is the ground? You mentioned connecting the ground to the headphone jack and then to the speaker.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 pm

In my diagram the grey would be ground, to the headphones then to the speaker.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 pm

I have the power and battery all connected and the only thing holding me back is the audio. I think I have it plugged in correctly based on the diagrams and info I can see. The speaker powers up but no real sound comes out. I can hear that it is on and when I turn the volume wheel it sounds like its trying to get louder but no audio. Im going to double check the config.txt. I can send a picture or something if that helps.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:13 pm

I checked the config.txt and it seems to be correct. I'm not sure what I have done wrong. Im looking around to try and find help on this but I am not sure where to go from here.