Function button, plus and minos buttons

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Mario.Semiglia

Function button, plus and minos buttons

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:09 am

Hey guys:

I am having a problem and I am a total noob to what referst to programing/coding:
I have a screen which is very bright and I do not know how to drop it.
I found this on kites project but I do not know were to paste it:

Code: Select all

// BACKLIGHT
#define BL_UP   1
#define BL_DOWN 0

#define BL_MIN 0
#define BL_MAX 100
#define BL_INC 10
#define BL_PWM_MIN 235  // High val = LOW
#define BL_PWM_MAX 0    // 0 = FULL ON
how do I make the funktion button?
I am thinking about two solutions :idea: :roll:
1) I could modify the GPIO to make an three buttons: one of them would be theFunktion botton, the other two + and -. Then comes the question: what should I add to the cmdline.txt?
I am using a Teensyboard LC, should I actually soder those buttons to the Teensy? which lines should I add to the Teensy in order to have a MODE a + and a - button?
2) Instead of adding an extra Button I could just try to map the hotkey to my keyboard, which it would be less cooler but it would do the job.
in both cases, which lines do I need to add and to which Document?

I am really really confused :? so I would really apreciate any help (even just a link to a topic would do)
Thanks in advance

VeteranGamer

Re: Function button, plus and minos buttons

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm not sure...

But have you notched up the brightness via the control board that came with the screen...
And now can't turn it down...

Kite uses a DPI method of getting the screen to function, and also has a seperate circuit/power setup for the backlight....
This is what is allowing him to adjust the brightness, this method will not work unless you are using a DPI screen (not a BW/composite)....

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Hallo Veteran Gamer,
But have you notched up the brightness via the control board that came with the screen...
And now can't turn it down...
thanks for your reply, the proble I had is the following:
I actually did not manage to make the down button from the control board to work, the up button worked fine as well as the menu button, not the down. In that point the screen brightness was still ok, so I thought I could live witht it, I glued the pi on top of the board but then I made a terrible mistake: I forgot to cover that part of the board with non conductive electrical tape. What happend? the menu and the plus button got a shorcut and when I turned the pi on the screen got crazy raising all brightness up :x.
Because I saw the video of the minty pi, I keept going with my build thinking it would actually be easy to modify the GPIO to get the function button and control it from there. Pitty my screen is a composite one...

Do you remmember this post?
https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5314

If you have any ideas I would be very thankfull, dont wanna give up with this screen, and buiying a new one would be a real pain

Thanks for your time!!

by the way, I dont know if you know this game but is one of my favorite super famicom releases its called majuu ou, if you dont know it you should really give it a try :mrgreen:

here are a couple of my build so far, I have a glass to paste to the front, I will paste it when I figure out a nice way of making a good black frame to it
SpoilerShow
gbzback.JPG
gbzback.JPG (34.65 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
SpoilerShow
gbzfront.JPG
gbzfront.JPG (20.1 KiB) Viewed 4472 times

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 am

Mario.Semiglia wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 pm

I actually did not manage to make the down button from the control board to work, the up button worked fine as well as the menu button, not the down. In that point the screen brightness was still ok, so I thought I could live witht it, I glued the pi on top of the board but then I made a terrible mistake: I forgot to cover that part of the board with non conductive electrical tape. What happend? the menu and the plus button got a shorcut and when I turned the pi on the screen got crazy raising all brightness up :x.

here are a couple of my build so far, I have a glass to paste to the front, I will paste it when I figure out a nice way of making a good black frame to it
your build looks good.... nice work...

i kinda understand why your looking for a software based solution for this, especially as you've completely built the Game Boy now...
(but your solution is only going to be hardware based)

i still feel that the board can be fixed, its not a major complex part and there must be a solution to rerouting the - button...
i'm not sure if you have also tried using a different tactile button, and retried wiring...
i'm sure (not 100%) that you must be able to fix this..

the only other alternative is to get a new screen (which is not a great thing, but you might have to bite the bottom lip and do this)
if you do end up having to get a replacement screen,
buy the Gearbest 3.5" composite, i appreciate Wermy originally used a BW screen but these builds have moved on from then and IMHO the Gearbest is the only screen to use now
(no point playing Russian roulette wondering what screen might turn up, and then wonder how to 5V mod it) ....

Mario.Semiglia wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 pm
by the way, I dont know if you know this game but is one of my favorite super famicom releases its called majuu ou, if you dont know it you should really give it a try :mrgreen:
i haven't played this game, will definitely look it up....
Thanks

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for your answer!

I really apreciate your time and your compliment about my build :oops: I think your builds are bad ass loocking

I did try using an other button but no chance... I will try find a solution once more and if not I will go for the screen you told me:

is this boy the one you are talking about?
https://www.gearbest.com/development-bo ... 29447.html

thanks again!

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:35 am

Mario.Semiglia wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 pm
Thanks for your answer!

is this boy the one you are talking about?
https://www.gearbest.com/development-bo ... 29447.html
No probs....
thats what the community here for....

that the screen, and it shouldnt need an modification
(it doesnt have a screen adjustment board, but really thats not needed....)

also the price seems a little high right now (not by much, only a few $)
if you keep an eye on it, they normally have it lower than that....

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:40 am

In case I go for that one:

do you remove the withe plastic and wire directly to the board or do you just plug it in and soder to the pi?
how do you get the best results for no interference?

did you tried that game?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 am

Mario.Semiglia wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:40 am
In case I go for that one:

do you remove the withe plastic and wire directly to the board or do you just plug it in and soder to the pi?
how do you get the best results for no interference?
that really depends on you.....

on some builds i've left it on...
its actually been ok, and hasnt got in the way of thing (this depends with you Pi is going to be placed)

and on other builds i've removed it.....

either way it really depends on how your build is
(the interference is only for the build it wont enhance or decrease the quality of the picture either way)

i have got around to playing the game yet, will definitely let you know how i get on....