Teensy and PCB Help

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Desalesdoug

Teensy and PCB Help

Post by Desalesdoug » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi. I am having a really hard time getting my PCB going with a Teensy or even directly to the PI. I have no response from any buttons. My soldering is solid. I am using the Teensy build from Sudomod and it says it loads onto the Teensy just fine with no errors. I have some pictured below. Any help would be welcome.
Attachments
IMG_0443.jpg
IMG_0443.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 4355 times
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4355 times

Mario.Semiglia

Re: Teensy and PCB Help

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02 am

Where is your Ground wire going? in the upper picture you use a red cable (or at least its how it looks) and in your kitsch bent the wire is blue. I know its a very stupid what I am pointing but in any case I would check that the ground is well wired...
how did you make the ground for the L and R? did you conected the gnd from the pcb to the the triggers and then made a common ground?
I ask you this because I do not see any soder on pin 15.
If you are using tactile buttons make shure you are conecting it to the wright legs, maybe there´s the problem.

How did you test the PCB? did you soder it to the pi or did you plug into a pc? that can be a good method, I recommend the pc one for testing

good luck and let me know how it goes

Desalesdoug

Post by Desalesdoug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am

I have a black found wire going from he Teensy to a ground connection on my power strip. I have a red wire going from the 5v on the teensy to the power on the power strip.

The L and R triggers are set up the way wermy did in the wiki. I hope this helps you. Please let me know.

Desalesdoug

Post by Desalesdoug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 am

I have been trying to test the PCB but am not sure how. I hooked it up to the GPIO using a program and instructions from here and then got the Teensy when that did not work. I can’t get any response from the PCB.

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:06 pm

I would recommend to wire the ground from the pcb directly to the teensy and the ground of L and R to pin 15...
then you can test if its working by pluging it derectly to a pc on a word documment (you should get letters: a s w and so on), if you do not get anny letters, keep it plugged in and use a multimmeter to briddge ground with pin 1, with 2 and so on, you should get the letters in that case, if you dont it means that the command line is not right installed... ( in that case: did you make shure you used the joystick/keyboard/mouse option in the teensy instalation?)
after testing you should add four more wires to power the Teensy: 2 of them are the data wires and the other ones are power (vcc) and ground...
SpoilerShow
gbz.png
gbz.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 4326 times
if you are going to use an usb hub your 4 last wires would go to the port 0 (or 1) of your hub and then the wires of the hub would go were I showed you on the pic

let me know how it goes
good luck

Desalesdoug

Post by Desalesdoug » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm

I will try that. I also thought to make sure the Aruduno software from Wermy is on correctly. I plugged it back into my computer and the light on the teensy won't light up and when I press the button on it nothing happens. I can't get the code on their now, or back on again. Could my Teensy be busted?

Desalesdoug

Post by Desalesdoug » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:36 pm

I tried the hook up the way in the diagram and nothing happens. I think the Teensy might be shot or maybe the PCB. I'm out of ideas. To be honest I have been working on this since October and I have bought enough parts for two or three GBZ. I feel at my wits end getting this thing going.

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 am

test if the wite and the green wires arent making contact...
I never had problems with the Teensy, I just drop some ideas what I thought it could be wrong... maybe take a look at your software... In your arduino you have to make shure you selected the specific board you are using (in your case Teensy LC) and then you need to tell the program for what you are using your command (keyboard, joystick, etc) I do not think your board is being burned or busted... I think you should maybe whatch wermys videos again, and also read the written gide, For the Teensy you also need to download a software if I do not remember wrong (I think this one is the one: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html)... If nothing of my sugestions are helpfull try sending pms (short ones) to the people that know more about this things... like veterangamer or Yaya or Rodocop...

you will for shure make it work... just keep trying things and enjoy the procces