Powerboost vs USB problem

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
RadianGaming

Powerboost vs USB problem

Post by RadianGaming » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:12 pm

So I thought I found a solution because it starts out just like this post: https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=5524 but not quite. My RPi works perfectly when connected directly to USB power. As soon as I move the cable over to my Powerboost 1000c (or try to run off the battery) then the Act LED flashes twice then fades on the third attempt. The screen also flashes and my Powerboost very briefly lights the "low" LED. If I move back to regular USB power, it works fine again.

I've gone back and checked my soldering because I'm aware of my skill level there. My multimeter is on the fritz, so I can't check it that way. At this point, I'm thinking of just configuring it to have access to the USB port and be done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the wiring and 2 GIFs of it working, then not when I switch over. https://imgur.com/gallery/wS94Y

ArtyOg

Re: Powerboost vs USB problem

Post by ArtyOg » Tue May 22, 2018 2:31 am

Oh man, I have the same issue, when I used the onboard usb even my screen flickers less, but once I plug into the adafruit, it goes on the frits. If anyone can shed some light on this issue, that would be great. I’ve replaced the wiring twice. Tried different usb cables. When I switch my power switch to off, both green and orange lights are on, hopefully the battery is charged by morning and I can give an update.

MegaLoop

Re: Powerboost vs USB problem

Post by MegaLoop » Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 am

Sorry to tell you but using breadboard jumper wires is a bad idea. Most of them use like 30 AWG and soldering to the tips just makes things messy and unreliable. I also see quite a bit exposed on some of those tips which is just plain dangerous! You need some proper wire in there, dude!

As mentioned in that post you linked, it's definitely related to power. Get your multimeter working or buy a new one and get some better wire at least for your power connections. You should have some quality 28 AWG at the VERY least, soldered directly to the conductor, I would go for 24.