Cheaper Zero

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
godfather_gr

Cheaper Zero

Post by godfather_gr » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:30 am

Hello there. I am super new to this whole electronic situation but I loved them since I was kid. Thought when I saw about game boy zero I got fascinated and I wanted to give a try. But I have some questions. I want to make it very very cheap. for example I realized that most of the parts I will need dont come here to greece so I have to order them from internet and the customs for europe these days gone sky high! So I wonder for example if instead of the standerd Game Boy sp card reader if i is possible to use a simple micro SD reader...
Theoritacly if we have a gameboy cardridge fixed on game boy and inside it the sd card board connected directly to rasberry... is that possible without the game boy advance sp reader? or can I include the games at the sd card that stays on the rasberry? I will not opened it ever again since it will work... so why not do it like that? is possible can I do it?... also... is there a book on how to recognize in a circuit what is standing for? I watched the video and I was astonised on how you know, people, what its pin its stands for! Please dont eat me alive with you comments. I really love it and I dont think that I will have anyone else to help me do this super hobby!

Thanks in advance!

rodocop

Re: Cheaper Zero

Post by rodocop » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:09 am

Hey, it seems like no one really does the cartridge reader anymore. You can orient the pi so the SD card is facing the contrast port and you can access it there. With the pi zero W it really isn't necessary to even access the SD card, since most things can be done wireless anyway.

Browse around the forums, and re watch the videos, and also check out the wiki. There really isn't one guide to use. A lot of times you have to piece together the information yourself, depending on what parts you choose to use.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:41 am

I got the game boy card reader planning on installing it into my GBZ build, but as it was my first build and I am not great at soldering, I didn't end up using the card reader.

Like Rodocop said a lot of people are not really using the card reader anymore. More people seem to be into adding the L+R button bracket on the back and that usually means you can't do the card reader.

I am also using a Pi ZeroW so I didn't need access to the sd card slot and I just connect and transfer files wirelessly.

I recommend checking out some of the more recent builds on the "Show-off Corner" forums and you might get some ideas on alternative setups.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue May 01, 2018 8:26 am

can confirm. almost nobody is buying cartridge slots from me anymore (not a problem since they were bought in for something else anyway ;) ) but yeah, the cart slot is not a thing (for now at least ;) )