Audio help (whirring/clicking)

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
PitchForkNinja

Audio help (whirring/clicking)

Post by PitchForkNinja » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:28 am

After a million years of my pi sitting in my basement, I finally finished my build, except its not yet screwed together (side by side). I plugged it in, but the audio made this whirring and clicking noise. I used the kitsch-bent PWM audio filter, and I used @rodocop 's audio wiring diagram
DiagramShow
I don't know what I did wrong, or even if the schematics work, any ideas? This is not an AIO build, I used almost everything original to the guide, besides the button pcb (kitsch-bent), power strip (Helder), and audio filter
My best guess is that I need to buy a new volume wheel, but I don't think that's the problem.
Edit: No sound from headphones either...
Update: Upon further testing, I found that a ground wire was not connected to the amp. I turned it on, and the splashscreen sound played, but I went into Tetris and heard nothing. When I plug the headphones in, the speaker still plays, probably because my headphones stick out a ton. I'll probably buy a new jack and volume wheel, hook it up and see what happens.

tinkerBOY

Re: Audio help (whirring/clicking)

Post by tinkerBOY » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:05 am

Using a PWM filter with the Pi's PWM audio will not eliminate all the noise/interference especially with an amp. The audio from the headphone jack will probably be fine if you wire it between the filter and amp. The output of the amp goes directly to the speaker but to minimize the noise put a resistor in between. Try 5-15ohm resistor depending on how you're satisfied with the loudness. The higher the resistor value the less noise but also less volume.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter