1st Build Questions

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
AnomanderRake508

1st Build Questions

Post by AnomanderRake508 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 am

So like it says I am in the process of my very first build and I beating my head against the wall a little. I had it just about assembled and tested and I pulled it back apart because I didn't pay enough attention to my layout and was just kind of forcing it together a little and didn't want that. My current problem is the bracket for the screen. I'm using an HDMI screen and the basic 3d printed top screen bracket/screw post that came with the button wells I ordered. It worked enough with some modification when I oriented the screen upside down (was just going to rotate 180 in the config when complete) but now I am trying to install it right side up and make a notch in the back case for the HDMI connector like I saw in one of Veteran's builds. I am running into fitment issues now though and I have to order another bracket as my previous modifications don't fit with new screen position and I am having trouble finding one that suits my needs. I know they obviously exist and if I am missing something glaringly obvious in my search then I apologize and I am not looking for anything for free, but if someone could point me in the right direction or has any suggestions I would be infinitely grateful.

I was also trying to figure out some manner of battery monitoring whether it be on screen or LED's but I got a little overwhelmed leafing through all the posts about it. I have both the Adafruit Powerboost 1000 and the Banggood power supply along with both an ADS1115 and an ADS1015 all laying around from other projects so I gathered have a few options but sifting through a bunch of posts to try and find exactly how to do it started to frustrate me and I had to take a break from searching and come back to it. So if anyone could point me in the direction of any helpful posts for that I would also be extremely grateful. I know sometimes people get frustrated with posts like these because the OP didn't try and look on their own first but I promise I actually did, and for quite a while too before I decided to post, so I apologize if this post is in the wrong area or there is something else wrong with it as it's also my first post.

Sorry for the long, rambling post and thank you very, very much for any help or replies in advance. I truly appreciate it and am anxious to just get this 1st build complete.

VeteranGamer

Re: 1st Build Questions

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 am

AnomanderRake508 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 am
I'm using an HDMI screen and the basic 3d printed top screen bracket/screw post that came with the button wells I ordered.

not exactly sure what bracket you've got....

but i had posted downloads for some in my HDMI build post (one of these may be what you already using, or not)

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 180#p48704

(you can just use the top bracket, instead of the one that encases the screen)

as in regards to the battery monitor with the ADS, i would personally recommend to go with the ADS1015.....
i know people have stated that they've got the ADS1115 to work, but i couldnt get it to work for me
(this could have been due to a number of issues, like me installing/enabling it incorrectly, a bad part or it just doesn't work)

go with the ADS1015

heres a diagram

here an alternative way if your not using a DPDT switch by adding a resistor (i personally haven't tried this method yet)
the diagram show Cambles Safe Shutdown, but you dont have one of those just ignore it (just use it for reference)

and heres the script you need to install

https://github.com/HoolyHoo/Mintybatter ... /README.md

Last edited by VeteranGamer on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnomanderRake508

Re: 1st Build Questions

Post by AnomanderRake508 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 am

Oh man, thank you so, so much. That is perfect and exactly what I was looking for. I'll take a look through your bracket post and see what looks like it will work the best. I was using just the thin top bracket with two screw posts, the one from Wermy's 3D Printed Parts Kit from the marketplace here but like I said, I've butchered it beyond use at this point. I'm sure I'll find what I need though as your builds are actually the ones that inspired me to make the changes to mine after my messy and kind of rushed first attempt, because your builds are amazing. So thank you again, especially for such a quick and detailed reply, you've helped me tremendously.