BW 3.5 TFT LCD - 5V modification

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
mrsippy

Re: BW 3.5 TFT LCD - 5V modification

Post by mrsippy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 am

I've got my variant 12 screen wired up and working, however, I'm concerned that I may not have it connected in the optimal way... I have the yellow wire going to "TV" on my pi, and the green to the ground next to it. I've got the red wire going to GPIO pin 2, and the black grounded on GPIO pin 6. My understanding is that the black (which is presumably the ground wire) should be grounded as near to the yellow wire as possible to reduce interference, so ideally it would be grounded where the green is, but if I take the green out of the equation and ground the black there, I get no signal on my screen. So what's the green wire? And what's the black? Can I lose one or the other?

EDIT: So I'm a doofus, green is a ground wire, so what's with the black?

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:59 am

mrsippy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 am
I've got my variant 12 screen wired up and working, however, I'm concerned that I may not have it connected in the optimal way... I have the yellow wire going to "TV" on my pi, and the green to the ground next to it. I've got the red wire going to GPIO pin 2, and the black grounded on GPIO pin 6. My understanding is that the black (which is presumably the ground wire) should be grounded as near to the yellow wire as possible to reduce interference, so ideally it would be grounded where the green is, but if I take the green out of the equation and ground the black there, I get no signal on my screen. So what's the green wire? And what's the black? Can I lose one or the other?

EDIT: So I'm a doofus, green is a ground wire, so what's with the black?
There’s two video channels on those screens so the other wire is the second video input, which you don’t need.

You should get a stronger signal when there is a ground near the video input (twisting those wires can also help) but it’s also not strictly necessary. Some people use that unconnected second video wire to run a second ground (one to the common ground and one to the one near the tv input) and some people just use one wire to a ground somewhere. If yours is working as it is, you shouldn’t need to adjust it, but if you get interference or a crappy image, you might try the other, second ground or just moving it to near the tv

mrsippy

Post by mrsippy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:14 am

Thank you!

iENA

Post by iENA » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi everyone, I have a problem with the monitor, I connected it as a guide but it doesn't turn on. I doubt that the card that enters the monitor has broken, you can see in the second photo on the bottom left .. Can you give me some help? Should I get a new one?
IMG_20190609_205522.jpg
IMG_20190609_205522.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 2696 times
IMG_20190609_205605.jpg
IMG_20190609_205605.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 2696 times

Orelio54

Post by Orelio54 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi everyone, I have the same problem, connected the red wire to the pin after removed the 8pin, et connect it to the PI alimentation, the screen don't power on, I don't anderstand.

Maybe this is note the same board, iENA and me have a white wire for the 2nd channel, not green, any solution ?

Thanks a lot

Bye