Recommend a screen for a new build in 2018?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
brainslugs83

Recommend a screen for a new build in 2018?

Post by brainslugs83 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:22 pm

Hey guys,

Some background info: I'm designing and 3D printing my case, so it's not a strict Gameboy Zero -- specifically I wanted something a little more ergonomic (with curves / grooves for your hands in the back and a more traditional ABXY layout)... [I have a RSI, and I can't really game on something that's not ergonomic...]

But I've run into a hitch with the screen I picked out -- it's a Kedei 3.5" HDMI screen of some kind, and it's complete garbage... like the four corners are a bit dark (the backlight isn't lighting up in the very corners), there's a ton of blacklight leakage... and the thing is hot as all hell (meanwhile, it causes the PI to undervolt... -- probably all that heat it's generating)...

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality screen that isn't garbage that will work well with Retropie on a PI 3 or a PI Zero W. If it's slightly the wrong size, that's okay, it would be best if it had some screw hole mounting points, and didn't bogart all of the GPIO pins... (but those aren't deal breakers).

It doesn't have to be HDMI, but the GPIO pin versions I've seen have really terrible response time and suck for gaming...

Pics below of the current model (I've 3d printed these also, but I don't have pictures of those atm -- if there's interest I can share the final models out, etc.).

brainslugs83

Re: Recommend a screen for a new build in 2018?

Post by brainslugs83 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I ended up ordering this one UCTRONICS 3.5 Inch HDMI TFT LCD Display with Touch Screen, Touch Pen, 3 Heat Sinks for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, 3 Mode B,Pi 2 Model B, Pi B+
SpoilerShow
It looks to be about the same form factor, and in the 1* and 2* reviews, the company responded and offered assistance (and the 5* reviews said the support was great). Apparently the touch screen is terrible, but I give zero fucks about that...

I also ordered a Adafruit DPI TFT Kippah as a last resort (I have some bare screens that are the right size, and other sizes, that would be worth trying to drive... or I could try to use one of the panels from one of those backup camera screens without resorting to composite video... -- though I'd have to majorly change my model to support that screen...)
SpoilerShow
Anyway, wish me luck. :-)

Marty33

Post by Marty33 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 am

I don't create new post, i wait responses here.

Each KEDEI screen costs me 26 dollars. and every time, I'm unlucky.

I take off the screen, I damage the connections (it's my fault). the screen has a problem with the bright panel. one (or more) dead pixels.

I'm tired. and it costs me a lot of money (and the lead time when I order in China !!!).

which screen, economical, but also precise on its image?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:07 pm

I always just buy composite screens. They are always totally acceptable for me, and they are super simple to set up, 3 wires, done.

Gearbest is the preferred vendor for me, no modification needed for this screen to run on 5V

https://www.gearbest.com/development-bo ... 3AEALw_wcB

But to original poster, there are no mounts for this screen, you'd need to glue it or fab up some other sort of bracket. And since you have something similar to this that can be run by that adafruit hat that might be good enough as well.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:22 pm

You could also consider using TinkerBoy's DPI adapter and a cheap back up camera screen:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/322563102032

https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/product/tinke ... i-adapter/

brainslugs83

Post by brainslugs83 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:19 pm

So the one I linked above showed up (several days ago, just been really busy) -- but it's the correct size and is literally a drop in replacement for the old shitty ones (I also have a couple of, and they're also broken... most of them came that way...) -- This has been the first hassle-free one I've bought -- even the film that comes applied to the screen (to protect it until you've installed it) seems nicer than the others, like they cut it to the exact right size so it's not flapping in the wind or peeling off on it's own, and the PCB has the pinouts on the silk screen (like even the NCs are listed), they're also listed in the manual which is kind of amazing... -- it does have a full screen logo when you turn it on for about a second, but it's much less obnoxious (IMO) than the Kedei ones...

For some reason it came with heatsinks, but I'm not sure where to apply them -- it doesn't seem to get anywhere near as hot as the Kedei one did... -- and it's not mentioned in the instructions (unless I'm just missed it)... -- it even came with a little card in it that was like 2 sided and folded so it was like "Are you unhappy?" and you read the other side and it's like "give us a call right away and we'll fix it" (and they responded like gang busters on amazon), and the other side was like "Are you happy?" and had a spiel about applying to get sponsored products from them or coupon codes, etc. By the way, mine is... [j/k j/k -- This is my honest opinion, I'm just letting you know my experience and I hope it helps someone].

The only complaints I saw that looked legit (btw) on their page was about the touch screen (which honestly, I couldn't care less about, for this build). -- And a couple of people mentioned that their HDMI ports didn't line up or something? -- Which seems crazy because... mine lines up perfectly... I'm not even sure how it could happen that they didn't line up... like there's not another pad on the pcb for an HDMI port to be soldered down... it just sounds crazy -- mine fit my Pi3 better than my old Kedei one anyways.

Anyway, it's totally possible that I just got lucky, so order from them at your own risk... but I'm pretty fucking satisfied with this purchase right now. (I did order a generic BW 3.5" automotive backup camera screen also, to have as a backup just in case... but it looks like for now, I will not need it.) 😃

username

Post by username » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am

Does it appear the UCTRONICS screen and board could fit in a gameboy zero build? With or without modifications? I'm thinking of trying this as the other recommended screens can be more expensive plus the bezel is uneven.

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 pm

brainslugs83 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:22 pm
Hey guys,

Some background info: I'm designing and 3D printing my case, so it's not a strict Gameboy Zero -- specifically I wanted something a little more ergonomic (with curves / grooves for your hands in the back and a more traditional ABXY layout)... [I have a RSI, and I can't really game on something that's not ergonomic...]
Your design is awsome, good work!
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website