USB hub issues using connector plug

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
infinitLoop

USB hub issues using connector plug

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:50 pm

i'm trying to use the tinkerboy usb hub with a male connector plug, instead of just soldering to the pads on the pi (one of the pads is lifted off this pi), and i'm having the worst luck with everything i try. i've used the hub before directly to the pads and didn't really have any issue that way.

i'm assuming the hub is working, but i can't tell obviously. the usb port does work on the pi when i use a shielded cable with other devices. when i try splicing a cable, it doesn't pick up anything. i've tried green to d+ and white to d-, and the other way around just in case, but with no success either way.

i've also tried some of these, and just wired them directly, but that didn't seem to work either: https://www.neverstopbuilding.com/blog/ ... usb-pinout

twisting the wires (when i'm not splicing an existing cable) makes no difference.

i'm only connecting the two data wires from the cord to the pi though - maybe i need to also connect the ground (and/or the power) on the cable when using the connector plug instead of the pads? or...?

(i am connecting power to the hub to 5v shared power strip)
Last edited by infinitLoop on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinkerBOY

Re: USB hub issues using connector plug

Post by tinkerBOY » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm

You need all four pins connected to the Pi. Gnd, d+, d-, 5v. Post some pictures.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:58 pm

tinkerBOY wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm
You need all four pins connected to the Pi. Gnd, d+, d-, 5v. Post some pictures.
pins or cables? (does the hub need all 4 wires to the pi instead of or in addition to being connected to the power strip?)

the 5v and the ground from the usb hub go to the power strip - it seems to be getting continuity and power to there, as far as i can test

the d+ and d- on the hub are wired to the green (d+) and white (d-) wires. the other wires (black, red, and sometimes a fifth) are not connected in the existing wires i've sliced, or just left unconnected when i used the little header in the link.
Last edited by infinitLoop on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:05 pm

i've been checking for it with lsusb at the command prompt, but i only ever get the standard pi hub when it's connected

i was planning to just wire to the pi next and not the strip, but i thought powering with the power strip would be preferred instead of running through the pi, so i guess i will try that and see if it works any better. i assumed since when you wire it up directly, you just connect d+/- that it would work that way with the micro usb plug too.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:02 pm

yep, looks like that did work if i only use the plug's wires - so, why can't the power come from the common strip then? if the pi and the hub are both plugged into the same 5v source, why do i have to wire it through the plug and not direct to the components? is the data signal stronger that way, or what is it that i am missing ?

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:18 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:02 pm
yep, looks like that did work if i only use the plug's wires - so, why can't the power come from the common strip then? if the pi and the hub are both plugged into the same 5v source, why do i have to wire it through the plug and not direct to the components? is the data signal stronger that way, or what is it that i am missing ?
Where did you wire the 5v and gnd?
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:05 am

correia5022 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:18 am
Where did you wire the 5v and gnd?
originally, it was from the hub to the power strip pcb, which didn't work no matter what i did with the data wires. ultimately, using the wires in a spliced cable to just get the power from the pi worked to get that to register.