(More) Power Problems - Inrush Current too high

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
gambino37

Re: (More) Power Problems - Inrush Current too high

Post by gambino37 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 am

Does Tinkerboy have any insight on this? Power issues seem to be creeping up as a common theme with the V3 boards. Probably something he should look in to. He is super good about communication on things like this.

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:22 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:20 pm
ugh... this is so frustrating... i guess i'm at the point where i'm going to pull out the tinkerboy board and find some other board to use somewhere, somehow, to replace the functionality... that sucks. i wish i had some other option, but i don't know what to do...
So you are powering the Pi, tinkerboy board, and screen off the same 5V output from one single PSU?

Have you tried removing the screen from the equation, and confirming that the Pi will properly power up? You could check the activity LED, and then try to connect to it over wifi to confirm it is powered.

You also mentioned that you have a second, separate power supply? If the Pi powers properly with the screen removed, you could potentially have two power supplies, one that goes to the Pi and one that just does the screen.

Just throwing out ideas

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:42 am

gambino37 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 am
Does Tinkerboy have any insight on this? Power issues seem to be creeping up as a common theme with the V3 boards. Probably something he should look in to. He is super good about communication on things like this.
i haven't asked directly, partly because i wasn't focused on it until you pointed out the other v3 issues people are having with power, but given that, it does sound like it is the likeliest candidate. i also didn't think i'd get much of a response from him without something more specific to point to as a problem, and i can't say for certain his board is the issue.

my theory for my boot issue is that all the components packed on there are just too hungry initially, charging up capacitors and whatnot, and when combined with the a/b+ initial load, it's just too much draw. the ongoing stuff with the current bolt showing up sounds like something else, but maybe related? maybe the microcontroller periodically does something and spikes the current. i don't know enough to know the proper way to fix it though, just by trying to learn and follow somewhat related concepts to get there. wire a to b to c is one thing, figuring out sine waves and calculus and mofet gates and and algorithms for voltage calculations and... ugh.. i thought i was taking the "easy" route with the aio board on this one.

i wish i could explain why it works when i use a usb power cord to the pi though. maybe the psu is acting as some kind of regulator in combination with the external source, so that the current doesn't drop ? this is the wall i hit though with my limited knowledge.

at this point i'm kind of sick of trying to solve for that board. i have a glitchd gaming aio in another zero build that i was thinking maybe would work better, and i figure i can use helder's psu for the second analog stick, so my plan is to just pull it out of that build and use it with the 3a+ instead.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

codeman0624 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:22 am
So you are powering the Pi, tinkerboy board, and screen off the same 5V output from one single PSU?

Have you tried removing the screen from the equation, and confirming that the Pi will properly power up? You could check the activity LED, and then try to connect to it over wifi to confirm it is powered.

You also mentioned that you have a second, separate power supply? If the Pi powers properly with the screen removed, you could potentially have two power supplies, one that goes to the Pi and one that just does the screen.

Just throwing out ideas
try removing just the screen - yes, still doesn't boot

try removing the tinkerboard board w/ screen power - yes, pi boots

it was too much rewiring to try to do the pi and screen from the psu without the tinkerboard board

trying two power supplies seems excessive... i definetely wouldn't want two helder ones in one build... i have a generic one i could use, but how would that work with one battery? can you split the power like that from one battery source to two boost modules?

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Is there a way to tag people on this forum? I'm sure Helder himself would be able to shed some light on this perhaps.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm

gambino37 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 pm
Is there a way to tag people on this forum? I'm sure Helder himself would be able to shed some light on this perhaps.
i dunno.. the @ sign? does @gambino37 work? seemed kinda rude to just tag people for help

edit: nope

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:46 pm

Yeah that's true. I didn't think of that.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:56 pm

What gauge wire are you guys using? And length? I would recommend 24AWG to be sure it carries enough current to the devices plus keep them short.

Not sure how much copper or how thick his power strip area on his PCB is but this might be another possible issue. Every device requires more power on boot up then uses less once on.

Anyone have any idea how much current the DPI board and v3 board use?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

papajsantos

Post by papajsantos » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:38 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:20 pm
ugh... this is so frustrating... i guess i'm at the point where i'm going to pull out the tinkerboy board and find some other board to use somewhere, somehow, to replace the functionality... that sucks. i wish i had some other option, but i don't know what to do...
wew lad I know that feeling :(
Builds:
JankyBoy V1 - worklog
Freeplay CM3 w/ Dual Thumbsticks and L2/R2 - showcase
Infinity Sword (Kite's Circuit Sword Lite x Thanos's Infinity Gauntlet) - coming soon
-------------------------------
"Romans, they go the house?!"

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:56 am

Helder wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:56 pm
What gauge wire are you guys using? And length? I would recommend 24AWG to be sure it carries enough current to the devices plus keep them short.

Not sure how much copper or how thick his power strip area on his PCB is but this might be another possible issue. Every device requires more power on boot up then uses less once on.

Anyone have any idea how much current the DPI board and v3 board use?
the power wires i was using were silicon coated, 22awg. i think there might have been a little extra, but i don't think they were unreasonably long. the power is mounted basically in the cart area, and the input is near the bottom of the front of the case, so just about that long.