(More) Power Problems - Inrush Current too high

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
gambino37

Re: (More) Power Problems - Inrush Current too high

Post by gambino37 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:13 am

I think I'm actually good now. I separated the two. I now have the pi 3b+ getting power directly from Helder's PSU and on the second set of pads the Tinkerboy V3. I haven't had a lightning bolt since. It seemed having the power route all the way through the V3 and DPI adapter was the problem. Something is still fishy with the V3. The 5V pads on that board fluctuate and are not 5V constantly. One thing is for sure though, Helder's PSU is a beast and I doubt I will ever buy another Powerboost. (Well maybe I will, it still has all the pretty lights on it)

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:28 pm

i dug out the bw screen variant i had in mine and swapped it for a gearbest, and mine started working too. so, it looks like that was where my main issue was. just to be safe, i did also wire the pi into the psu on its own, and powered the tb board from the pi. it sucks though that the screen board takes up a bit more space, so everything is a bit too tight... so, my plan is to give an spi screen a try... just have to wait on aliexpress now

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:46 am

So his DPI board is the issue? Very likely the backlight circuit is the culprit. Maybe it needs a redesign with a better backlight driver.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue May 07, 2019 12:19 am

gambino37 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 am
Does Tinkerboy have any insight on this? Power issues seem to be creeping up as a common theme with the V3 boards. Probably something he should look in to. He is super good about communication on things like this.

Sorry it’s been a bit while since I browse this forum. Let me try again to measure the current usage of my v3 and dpi adapter. I’ll be back.

UPDATE:

Here are the measurements i made just now which is always the same as before when I started selling these boards:
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue May 07, 2019 12:43 am

gambino37 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:13 am
I think I'm actually good now. I separated the two. I now have the pi 3b+ getting power directly from Helder's PSU and on the second set of pads the Tinkerboy V3. I haven't had a lightning bolt since. It seemed having the power route all the way through the V3 and DPI adapter was the problem. Something is still fishy with the V3. The 5V pads on that board fluctuate and are not 5V constantly. One thing is for sure though, Helder's PSU is a beast and I doubt I will ever buy another Powerboost. (Well maybe I will, it still has all the pretty lights on it)
The 5v output has nothing to do with the V3 since it's just a controller board and it's not or does not include any boost/power circuit . The voltage you measure on any of the 5v pads (whether it's stable or not) on the v3 is the result or output voltage of any power supply you connect to it.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter