LCD distortion due to face plate pressure

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
pbutters

LCD distortion due to face plate pressure

Post by pbutters » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:26 pm

With my build I noticed a having a small but noticeable issue with the LCD. After grinding out the increased screen size and using the common 3d printed bracket + hot glue method, pushing with some force around the frame of the display will cause a "ripple" effect. Picture included below, difficult to capture since its more visually animated overtime then a static issue. Its very common if you touch the screen on a laptop from a few years back.
screendisplay.JPG
screendisplay.JPG (63.38 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
While its not always present, when playing certain NES games requiring rapid button mashing and being a bit excited, it can be distracting. Is there a method it limit or avoid this from happening? Looking through most other builds I don't see anyone reinforcing the LCD between the front of the gameboy.

Common issue that people either don't notice or something I might have to fix while cutting the gameboy case?

infinitLoop

Re: LCD distortion due to face plate pressure

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:55 pm

that happens to me a lot (almost every time?). i think over time, it can cause more permanent problems and screen distortion, and those screens crack pretty easily too. i don't know if it's worth ripping everything out if it's not too bad, but if you can adjust stuff so that whatever is pressed up against it, isn't so much.. or just be more gentle

pbutters

Post by pbutters » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:55 pm
... but if you can adjust stuff so that whatever is pressed up against it, isn't so much.. or just be more gentle
This was also my second gbz build, and will probably do a third later this summer. With all of the improvements between 3d parts and AIO board I've seen such an overall improvement in everyone's builds its amazing. However the lcd issue I described is something I would like to fix if possible.

I don't think there is anything between the screen and the case that is causing the issue. I do think its the fact that so much material is being removed to fit the larger screen that it might be weakening the front gameboy case. When force is applied to the front of the case, or mashing buttons, it will cause pressure to the lcd frame.

Anyone replaced the stock flimsy silver shielding on the screen with something more rigid? Or have different build tips/tricks for this?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 am

You’ve most probably got something pressing up against the screen...

Even the slightest of pressure (in the right place) can cause this to happen...

You’ve either got a bit of the case where you dremeled the screen opening causing this....
Or
You’ve got something pressing up against the back...

It would be good to post images of what you’ve got going on inside...

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:38 am

On the inside of the screen area there is a slightly raised border. It coulld be causing unwanted pressure on the screen. I would sand it down, so it is smooth and level with the rest of the shell. See if that helps.

Also, like veteran mentioned, check if anything is causing too much pressure from behind the screen, you cram a lot into these builds and when you close the case things are quite tight. It might just mean something needs to be moved slightly to stop this.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:35 am

yeah, exactly. every time i've had that happen, it's been something putting pressure in the back, and just moving stuff around a little fixes it, but i was going to suggest the same as rodo - that little raised border around the screen area might be what's doing it too - i typically sand that down to avoid those issues. it doesn't seem likely that a weak gameboy case is the issue

pbutters

Post by pbutters » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:04 am

rodocop wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:38 am
On the inside of the screen area there is a slightly raised border. It coulld be causing unwanted pressure on the screen. I would sand it down, so it is smooth and level with the rest of the shell. See if that helps
I think you are correct here. Looking back on my and others pictures I seems very likely that I didn't get the raised lip completely removed OR left an uneven section that is causing greater pressure in one area. Thanks for the suggestion, now I have to consider if its worth removing the hotglue from the case+3d bracket to try and resolve.
... it doesn't seem likely that a weak gameboy case is the issue
It is in part as the case does have flex, minor but with the lcd siting directly against the front dmg case it can be noticed. Point taken which others have mentioned about possibility of something from the backside applying the pressure (which seems to suggest that the two halves of the cases don't sit completely flush in that situation) or again there is a small amount of case flexing.

My recent build used the circuit sword lite, which I can't say how amazing it was compared to the first build I did. When put together all of the parts (lcd + board + pi) aren't higher than the half of the case side they go into. There is a lot of free room once the two halves are together and I'm positive nothing is applying pressure from the backside of the lcd. I can confirm that the lcd distortion happens with the two halves are separated.
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG (197.21 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Thanks everyone for thoughts and ideas, again seeing all of the improvements in methods and parts over the years has been great for projects like this. If anything maybe this will bring notice to a small issue some of us have been having and produce a part to remove that issue.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 pm

pbutters wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:04 am
now I have to consider if its worth removing the hotglue from the case+3d bracket to try and resolve.
removing hot glue isn't that difficult......

just use some....
Rubbing alcohol
Cotton bud, Cotton swabs, Q-Tips

and some patients
(just don't drench it with alcohol, use the cotton buds)

if you have one of Kites board....
the least you can do is get the case right....
walking around with the case rubbing up against the LCD just aint a good look...

i'd remove everything (Screen Bracket) and start again....
(you'd be surprised how easily the hot glue comes away with the rubbing alcohol)