Filling indent from A and B buttons

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Post Reply
stadekxiel
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Filling indent from A and B buttons

Post by stadekxiel » Wed May 08, 2019 7:29 pm

I'm working on my first Gameboy Zero build, and just finished drilling out the button holes. However, my button layout doesn't quite match up with the existing A and B holes in the Gameboy shell. As a result I have an ugly indent making the rest look a bit sloppy:
SpoilerShow
Image
My question is, does anyone know a good way to fill in that indent? I've been thinking possibly either filling it in with some Bondo, or maybe making a cover for the area out of another piece of plastic, but I'm not entirely sure how either way would end up looking.

User avatar
X..
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:57 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Filling indent from A and B buttons

Post by X.. » Wed May 22, 2019 10:48 pm

If you do use bondo, you would have to repaint the whole shell. that means the screen printed logos and such go away. what would also be impossible by filing it with bondo, is matching the texture of the shell. id just advise you to buy a new shell and be very careful the next time around.

You'll be putting in hours of bondo-ing and sanding to end up with a finish that in the end you will not like.
My build Progress and Designs updated on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tymarbry/?hl=en
Upcoming Build Tutorials on my Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI96Xu ... lPs7hWdRwQ

stadekxiel
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Filling indent from A and B buttons

Post by stadekxiel » Mon May 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Thank you for the reply. What I ended up doing was simply melting some of the plastic I had cut from the screen area into the hole, then sanding it smooth. After two passes of that I was able to redrill the holes and get a result that wasn't necessarily great, but passible.
SpoilerShow
Image
(Don't mind the ziptie, it's only temporary)
Unfortunately just being careful wouldn't have been quite enough. I pulled the buttons and wells from a cheap Sega controller which I liked the layout of, and as a result the buttons simply wouldn't fit had I kept them lined up to the original holes.
Oh well, that's what I get for wanting to do things my own way instead of just using a premade board. Next time I won't be so stubborn, I think.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 1 guest